Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Stinkin' Hot to turn

1. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    You are more than welcome at my shop Roger. It's only an hour north and you'll be here.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Your shop has A/C? That's really cool!

You've got the right idea, Scott. My shop has open eaves, and gets about 5-7 degrees hotter than the outside air. I've got an old swamp cooler, that works very well, unless the humidity is too high.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

3. Belinda has a plan

Belinda has a plan.... get up really early, and finish before noon. The temp here just went to 107 again, about 2:30 pm and it was 98 at 10:00 am this morning.

Rain would be a great blessing..... I might have to join John H, jumping in the puddles

My shop building does not have windows like a house, because it is a garden shed [14X20] but the double doors do open, and I have a fan I plug in when it gets hot, but when it is this hot, it just circulates heat! An A/C unit would be nice, but with no insulation and no window, then its pretty much a no go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Belinda has a plan.... get up really early, and finish before noon. The temp here just went to 107 again, about 2:30 pm and it was 98 at 10:00 am this morning.

Rain would be a great blessing..... I might have to join John H, jumping in the puddles

My shop building does not have windows like a house, because it is a garden shed [14X20] but the double doors do open, and I have a fan I plug in when it gets hot, but when it is this hot, it just circulates heat! An A/C unit would be nice, but with no insulation and no window, then its pretty much a no go for that.
    Yeah, it's always pleasant here to walk out my door at 6:30 and it's already in the 80s with 70 to 80% humidity. We got a bid to install A/C in the shop (6000 sq ft) a couple of weeks ago. It was only $20,000. That just isn't in the budget this week. We have a large fan on a rolling base and a couple of smaller fans, but as you said, they just sort of circulate hot air. Considered getting a couple of mister units but the spoil board on the CNC just doesn't need any more moisture in the air than we have already.

Hey, y'all just come on down to Savannah on Saturday. We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 07-09-2010 at 6:51 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

5. Higher humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    That's Virginia, lived here most of my life, high temps and high humidity. Yesterday here was over 100 deg, with 65-70 RH. When it gets that hot outside, I just go into the shop and play. The gauge in the shop says: 70 deg, 29 RH..... : ). Man I am glad I was able to put A/C in last year!

Without A/C I would be in there either.

Rob
    Rob,

I'm sure the humidity is higher in Tidewater than it is here in the Shenandoah Valley. I know, because I used to live in Norfolk, and at times worked in Hampton and other tidewater locations. I've been through Yorktown a number of times and Williamsburg as well..... some of the most oppressive humidity I have ever experienced!

6. Southern Hospitality

Belinda said "Hey, y'all just come on down to Savannah on Saturday. We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush. [/QUOTE]

A real example of genuine southern hospitality!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    ....We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush.
    Can't we do both?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ill say I do feel very fortunate that my shop stays pretty descent in the summer. Way to cold in winter though.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Can't we do both?
    Yes, John, we can unless the rain is accompanied by our usual severe thunder and lightning. In that case we'll sit on the deck under the ceiling fan and sip Bourbon Slush.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Here in the Midlands of South Carolina the humidity and temp make for misery like you guys are talking about. When I built my shop I designed the whole thing around an air conditioner. It has 2 speeds on it; OFF and FB (freezer burn).

Well I have been hiding out in the shop, which is in the basement. 60% RH (72% RH without dehumidifiers) and pulling out a couple of gallons of water per day thru them, but only 70F. Thinking of adding a sofa down there to sleep on.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Yeah, it's always pleasant here to walk out my door at 6:30 and it's already in the 80s with 70 to 80% humidity. We got a bid to install A/C in the shop (6000 sq ft) a couple of weeks ago. It was only $20,000. That just isn't in the budget this week. We have a large fans on a rolling base and a couple of smaller fans, but as you said, they just sort of circulate hot air. Considered getting a couple of mister units but the spoil board on the CNC just doesn't need any more moisture in the air than we have already.

Hey, y'all just come on down to Savannah on Saturday. We'll go puddle stompin' if it rains. If it doesn't we'll hang out in the pool and sip Bourbon Slush.
    Hi Belinda, I am probably going down to your neck of the woods come Sept or Oct. My Mother live right across the border in Bluffton and she grew up in Sav. Maybe we could do a Low country boil when I come down. With a oyster roast. That southern heat is a killer and us Yanks need to keep cool.
    Nice to meet you,
    Bill Wilcox

Roger do like I did. I just said heck with it and cut a hole in the wall then put a window A/C in. I have it in my 12 X 20 and it works pretty fair. Until I insulated it it would keep it around 82* to 84*. I can turn in that. Now with insulation it keeps it around 72* to 74*.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Did somebody say Bourbon Slush ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Did somebody say Bourbon Slush ??
    Yeah...and puddle stompin'! It don't get no better'n that!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson