Thread: Grizzly G0514X2B Blade choice

Blog Entries

Grizzly G0514X2B Blade choice

The grizzly site says the G0514X2B can handle a 1-1/4" blade. My limited experience suggests that bandsaws never really handle their advertised width well. Can anyone confirm or deny that for this saw?

Either way I'm looking for a good blade in the 1 to 1-1/4" range. It will only be used for rips and resawing - curves will be cut on a different smaller saw. I've read good stuff about the Resaw King. But is that only good for resawing? Or can it be used for ripping as well? I would like to be able to just keep 1 blade on that does both.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I have a 19" Grizzly and I don't ever run a blade that wide. It would probably be able to tension it but I personally don't see the need or the benefit of such a wide blade. That saw resaws beautifully with a 1/2" blade for me.

1" Resaw King or Lenox Trimaster both work fine for resaw and ripping. A variable pitch blade is of less importance for ripping but helps with resaw smoothness. The Trimaster is a great blade BUT I have not been able to find a company that resharpens them, the RK can be resharpened 3-4 times at a cost of $45 per time so I would choose it over the Trimaster for that reason. If you go Trimaster I would suggest the 3/4 pitch, the RK comes in one configuration (if you don't count the old stock but I think they are out in 1" anyway).

I'm somewhat in the same boat... have a new 20" Agazzani with just 3/8" and 1/2" standard blades, and a 1" Lennox TriMaster (actually measures 1+1/16"). I haven't used a blade this large except on base-shop saws that were already tensioned... I think I have some reading to do to convince myself to tension it enough... Tensioned the 3/8" blade up to what appeared to be the 3/8" guide-line (could be wrong, it's not super clear and not mentioned in the manual how to read the logarithmic looking thing...). I was kind of disappointed as it didn't cut straight, pretty strong wander towards the fence, which I'm about 99% certain was due to blade tension-- I only spun the tension wheel 2-3 turns up from basically loose. I know the 20" Agazzani will tension a 1", but I think it's gonna take someone posting a pic of their tension gauge to get me to actually crank it high enough...

Did you buy the 514X2B already? If so, good choice! I had decided on the 514x2 myself before a CL deal fell in my lap. Having just spent last night adjusting my new saw's table and trunnions, and rotating the table, I am actually significantly more impressed now with the Grizzly rack/pinion table support mechanism. I have to say the table support on the 20" Agazzani did not look like it was as sturdy as the 19" Grizzly.

I wonder how many other folks besides me here know Fast Neat Average?
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Form oh dash nine six...

Ahh, the Colorado Springs boys analogy to the Westpoint boys ring knocking. Friendly, good, good?

As to the meat of your post I wish someone made a BS tension gauge actually designed for woodworking tensions and not metal. I have yet to find a BS with a tension gauge that inspires confidence, the Laguna has the best I have seen, I think MM has one similar as well.

Was riding out to the jets early this morning for a little 4vs.2 with the sunrise, all 5 other guys in there were zoomies too, they didn't believe me that I saw Fast/Neat/Average/Friendly/Good/Good in someone's sig line lol... Unfortunately I graduated before one of them was born...
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Was riding out to the jets early this morning for a little 4vs.2 with the sunrise, all 5 other guys in there were zoomies too, they didn't believe me that I saw Fast/Neat/Average/Friendly/Good/Good in someone's sig line lol... Unfortunately I graduated before one of them was born...

Funny I didn't even notice it in his sig line until I read your last post. My brain just skips over sig lines.

Blog Entries

Did you buy the 514X2B already? If so, good choice! I had decided on the 514x2 myself before a CL deal fell in my lap.
    Yep, it's supposed to be delivered today, but I've received no phone call yet... I plan on using the stock blade until I figure out what real blade to get.

I've received a few PMs regarding it. It's a small world.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    The grizzly site says the G0514X2B can handle a 1-1/4" blade.
    My BIL and I have the same saw. I bought two 1-1/4" carbide tipped blades from the Laguna guy when they were selling for $75 each. They fit and run on the saw with no problem. It takes a little technique to clear the guides as you are installing it, but it takes no longer to change than any blade. Which, by the way, is really easy on this saw.