Thread: dangerous sawdust?

dangerous sawdust?

i work in my basement, with a hot water heater and boiler, both having pilot lights.Ive never had a problem but am i putting my loved ones at risk filling our basement up with sawdust???

Sawdust is like most other dusts. If you get the right concentration and an ignition source it will go up.
    http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/wood...explosion.html
    http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticle...llection.shtml (old Badger Pond article)
    http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/delights..._06_and_07.htm

sawdust

Your danger of explosion is probably pretty small unless you really raise thick clouds of dust into the air (sander without vacuum). Your greater danger is filling the house with fine dust and the resulting respiratory problems that can go along with it. If you have decent dust collection at your tools, and possibly an ambient air cleaner to protect you lungs, you don't have to worry about an explosion.
    Mark R

Everett:

I have a basement workshop with a gas hot water boiler and 2 gas hot water heaters. I have never had a problem. What I do when I am working , is open the trap doors to the outside and open all the basement windows. I also run a Jet DC650 dust collector and a Ridgid overhead air filtration system. Some sawdust gets in the air, but nothing I am concerned about. The hard part is working in the basement in the winter. At that time , I get a little more careful working in the basement when the hot water boiler is running. The trap doors and windows I have to keep closed because of the cold air and the snow.

Bob

Blog Entries

Dust Explosions

From what I understand the sawdust has to be pretty thick in the air to explode. If it were thick enough to explode you would have trouble seeing and breathing. I would also recommend an air cleaner and a good dust collection system to keep the rest of the family happy with your shop activities and the tracking of dust throughout the house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've had the same concerns about working in the basement. I wonder do you do any finishing work down there as that is an issue I have considered. As the fumes from the chemicals may be more dangerous than the dust.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12748

dangerous sawdust?

I have had a basement shop for over 25 years, before and after central dust collection in the shop. By far, the greatest explosion danger was not from the furnace or water heater but rather from my wife. The laundry area is on the far side of the basement and you should see what happens to damp clothes when the dust clouds settle on them (especially with deeply colored dust like from bloodwood). Good dust collection will take care of all dangers and preserve domestic tranquility!

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

dangerous sawdust or DANGEROUS WIFE?

first off thanks to everyone for yor replys.i am new here and that was my first post. yeah i also do finishing in my basement,but the last few projects i tried waterbased poly.i to have had more trouble with the hot wife rather than the hotwater heater.if i could just talk her into doing the laundry out by the creek, i would have room for the 3hp shaper i want!

ps any thoughts on the waterbased stuff??