Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool cabinet for small space

Tool cabinet for small space

I have ended up in a house without shop space. I'm in 1/2 of a 2 car garage with 1 electrical outlet. It's a good reason to get back to handwork and minimize my tools. I had to build a small cabinet to work from in a confined space. If it doesn't fit in then I probably don't need it. It's not fancy, just 1x12 pine. Wide enough for my #7 plane and tall enough for a 28" hand saw. 1870's Butcher chisels, 1970's English Greenlee chisels, Pre-'28 Disston's,#12's, #4's (+1 tiny #7). low knob Stanley's, 3, 5, 7, 10 1/2, 9 1/2, 60 1/2, I have only left room for a #48. Brace, drill, mallet, scratch beader behind, etc. behind door. Arkansas stones, box of R.J. auger bits, and a few other odds, and ends.
    Not exactly minimalist but it also keeps me from buying a bunch of tool that I seldom use.
    Deane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any more, the people who post here and make me most envious are the ones who have their shops organized. From an organizational standpoint, I think this would have to qualify as gloatworthy and as such, I regret to inform you that you suck. Since you have only four posts here (welcome!), I'll hasten to add that it is really a compliment.

Now, if you mount it on a base cabinet with casters, it will fit almost anywhere and also give you some added space for some drawers and possibly some french cleats on the back for hanging other tools, ie; bow saw, frame saw, etc. Besides being able to move to the portable bench (sawhorses and a partial sheet of ply).
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Very nice Deane. I'm buidling a cabinet as well and may steal some of your tool mounting designs. I like 'em. That is a very well organized cabinet. Very well done!
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Looks real nice Deane! I've been wanting to make a similar cabinet, but keep hesitating because I seem to want too much in it. You've seem to have done a good job of keeping the essentials.
    Never pass up the chance to use a hand plane.

Blog Entries
    That looks real nice Deane.

I want to build a cabinet, but it always seems there are just too many tools to keep in a cabinet lying around.

There are already two roll around tool boxes with boxes on top of them to hold automotive, electrical, plumbing and a few other miscellaneous tools.

The garden tools are leaning against the wall or in a bucket. Then there is the rough wood working tools like axes, froe, wedges, chain saw and sledge.

Then the fine wood working tools are all over the place and just do not seem containable.

It is going to take an awful big round tuit.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Those mortise chisels are making me drool.

That is a great looking cabinet. Great use of space.

Bill

Very nice cabinet, Deane. Would you happen to have any plans or notes you could post? Even some rough drawings would be nice.

My work space is way limited, too, so I use mostly hand tools, as well.

Thanks for sharing such a nice, compact piece of work.

Craig

Very nice layout. If I did that I would have room for even more tools.

11. Beautiful. You have a nice taste in tools.

Inspirational

The efficiency of this cabinet is both inspirational and motivational. Thanks for posting this. Now where do you store the brace?

Now where do you store the brace?[/QUOTE]

The try square in hanging on a small door. Inside I have hanging a brace, eggbeater drill, scratch beader, and spokeshave.

That's nice. I am trying to get started on something similar, but I want to house a lot more tools. Maybe I need to re-assess my priorities. Not having a significant other to tell me "no, you don't need another set of chisels" is my biggest problem.

Thumbs up

Oooh, pretty!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.