Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Bandsaw - Made in Bulgaria?

Laguna Bandsaw - Made in Bulgaria?

After searching Laguna threads I see that some Laguna bandsaws may have been made in Bulgaria.

How can I tell were the saw ( I'm thinking of buying a used LT16) is made? It's an eight year old saw and the motor has "Costruzioni Meccaniche" on it. The seller sys he's going Neanderthal. Asking price is $750.00

Thanks,

Bill

The motor would be Italian then. From memory the whole machine is Italian.

I was under the impression the 3000 series were made in Asia?

The newer LT 16's have an American Baldor motor I believe. That one is Italian as stated. Regardless if the saw is in good condition I personally think it is well worth the $750.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    I was under the impression the 3000 series were made in Asia?
    The 3000 series are Asian, this is not a 3000 series.

It is possible that this is a Bulgarian saw with an Italian motor, I am not sure when they started using Bulgarian companies for the European saws below the HD16. Those saws are where I get fuzzy on the origin.

My LT14 says "Made in Bulgaria" on the nameplate on the back of the saw.

As John said, though, it's well worth $750, no matter where it was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    My LT14 says "Made in Bulgaria" on the nameplate on the back of the saw.

As John said, though, it's well worth $750, no matter where it was made.

The LT14SE and SEL are definately Bulgarian, the current LT16 HD is definately Italian. The LT16 sits in the middle and I think the current LT16 (no HD) is Bulgarian but the question I can't answer is where this older LT16 with an Italian motor was actually made.

Laguna Band saws

It is easy to tell where the saw was built. It will state meeber (Italian) or Stomanna (Bulgarian) The older LT16s were made in Italy by Meeber, They had a round plastic throat plate a rectangle type tube steel guide post and stamped steel trunion. Make sure it has a 12 inch resaw with euro guides and foot brake. (LT16SEC) The older Meeber (LT16) had 10 “ resaw . Carter roller guides were installed to get the 12 “ . If I remember correctly the earlier ones sold on sale for around 900.00 and the newer ones (LT16SEC)1200.00
    Hope this Helps

Those Bulgarians do well by "Bs"! They are famous for their Buttermilk, why not Bandsaws?!?!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have an LT16 of that approximate vintage. It is made in Bulgaria and I would just keep on looking. I've never been impressed with my Laguna saw. They switched to Baldor motors in the updated version but they also jacked the price if you wanted one. The quality of the screws and washers is crap, adjustments are not simple, yet are frequently needed. I could go deeper into but I would not buy the same saw again....not even for $750 which is alot less than I paid.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

"Costruzioni Meccaniche"

just below this on the plate is the logo "ACM" which Laguna went to after they dropped Meber as their producer. I'm not sure when the exact cross over was but it seems like the late 80's early 90's. The same plate should have the blade lengths / width, manuf. year, and a serial #.

$750 for an ACM LT16 is a fair price. What else is in that price range? The Italian motors from that vintage run hot and sometimes melt their plastic control boxes if pushed hard and run continuously for long periods of time. Like any saw , check the guides, tires and bearings. ACM makes stout equipment.

Thanks for all of your help. The owner sent the following:

There's a plate on the back of the saw reading, Anno (i.e. year) 2000, serial # is 36528, Type 400.

I have emailed Laguna to see wherre the saw was made. Not sure what a type 400 is.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Willard Foster View Post
    Not sure what a type 400 is.
    Type 400 is probably the wheel diameter in millimeters. That's how almost all of the European bandsaws are named -- wheel diameter in millimeters. 400 mm is 15 3/4", which gets rounded up to 16" for US sales.

Laguna Bandsaw

Willard,
    Laguna sold meeber as there LT 16 in 2000, They also sold ACM which was the Laguna 16 Hd and larger.That saw is now called the LT 16 HD Classic because it has 12" resaw. Back then it had a 3HP Italian motor. It is also easy to tell. It will state ACM on the tag, have a yellow blade guard, rack and pinion with a round steel guide post, a foot brake with micro switch and a square plastic throat plate. If it is the old HD, Buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    I have an LT16 of that approximate vintage. It is made in Bulgaria and I would just keep on looking. I've never been impressed with my Laguna saw. They switched to Baldor motors in the updated version but they also jacked the price if you wanted one. The quality of the screws and washers is crap, adjustments are not simple, yet are frequently needed. I could go deeper into but I would not buy the same saw again....not even for $750 which is alot less than I paid.
    I agree-----keep hunting. I can't even keep up with all the broken stuff on my saw. The fence is just a little bit better than nothing but not much.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---