Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert SW Form Spalted Holly

Desert SW Form Spalted Holly

A little different 'pottery' form, again from Spalted Holly. About 4" tall, 7" at it's widest. One coat of water-based poly, two coats of satin wipe-on poly. I didn't want this one to shine, hoping it would look more like a piece of pottery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I have gas lamps in my house(yes, they burn propane!) and your shape is just like the glass shades on my lamps. Very different shape & I like the wood.

Mike, looks like you have an inexhaustible supply of the spalted holly!! Very nice finish on this one. While I like the SW look you have been doing, for some reason I do not care for forms that have a sharp transition to them - though in this case I am sure it is representative of proper form.

You did a great job with it, and I am sure I am in the gross minority on the this one! I do like your "series" work, and it seems you have found your niche.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mike, looks like you have an inexhaustible supply of the spalted holly!! Very nice finish on this one. While I like the SW look you have been doing, for some reason I do not care for forms that have a sharp transition to them - though in this case I am sure it is representative of proper form.

You did a great job with it, and I am sure I am in the gross minority on the this one! I do like your "series" work, and it seems you have found your niche.
    John, the supply is dwindling, I have to say - wish I had taken more of that big tree a couple of years ago! It was a good foot or more in diameter - really a big holly.

Nice job. I love that wood, and I think it lends itself to the pottery illusion. The form is interesting and works with the pottery theme.

totally awesome wood

Mike,
    Nice job and I like the soft finish look. That piece is not my favorite, but I like it. And I suppose I can't love them all the best.
    mj

Nice vessel. I've had very little holly to turn and have never had spalted holly.

Your form, while interesting, doesn't quite hit it as a SW pottery form. Living in Arizona, I've studied ancient SW pottery and I find it interesting that nearly all of it seems to fit within the "golden mean" and the "rule of thirds" dimensions. Just shows that, even though all of the pottery is functional, forms that are pleasing to the eye became the norm. There is a museum in Phoenix called the Heard Museum that has a huge number of pieces that are hundreds of years old.

There are some good books on SW pottery available, but lots of good info is available on the web.

The SW Indian tribes of the SW and northern Mexico each has it's own style of pottery. My favorite is the pottery of Mata Ortiz in Mexico. I have a couple of pieces and would like to have more. The really good pieces are quite expensive, some reaching $5000 and more.

Wally

That is a really nice piece out of some beautiful wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

very nice....

Nice piece of pottery, Mike!

I really do like this piece, Mike. Unique shapes intrigue me, and this wood is really something!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

That is a different shape but delicate looking. I like it. I picked up a piece similar to this but of plain wood for inspiration, but the wood in this piece really sets it off. Did you use a laser in doing the hollowing to get the thin walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    That is a different shape but delicate looking. I like it. I picked up a piece similar to this but of plain wood for inspiration, but the wood in this piece really sets it off. Did you use a laser in doing the hollowing to get the thin walls?
    Thomas, yes I did. The Jamieson system. Thanks.

Very interesting form Mike! Beautiful wood and finish! I can see the SW pottery influence but it also has a very contemporary feel to it. That is an interesting mix and like Allen just said - unique shapes are a welcome change.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!