Thread: Wheel Dressing tool opinions?

Wheel Dressing tool opinions?

I am looking for some feedback from ya'll. Looking at the following wheel dressers, and needs to hear some thoughts.

Oneway

Geiger's

And this one, endorsed by Bill Grumbine.

http://sierramold.com/WD_Dresser.htm

The Geiger and Sierra mold look pretty similar, with the Geiger's looking a bit beefier, but the Sierra looks a bit more versitile....

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Gary Conklin; 07-10-2010 at 4:55 PM.

Just my opinion

I had tried a friends dresser attachment for the wolverine jig and it did an OK job. I then bought a Geiger at the AAW symposium and I love it. My weels have never spun truer. YMMV but I would highly recommend the Geiger.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Gary,

I would use one of those two or the one by Oneway.

The reason....they use the Wolverine tool rest as the reference and should theoretically make the face of the grinding wheel absolutely perpendicular to the plane of the tool holder and thus the vari-grind adapter too.

Now some will say it is not that important and they could well be right.

I'm a nit picker......a detail freak. I would rather know that everything I can do to eliminate something mechanical is not the cause of my sharpening problem but rather my technique. It's not for everybody.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

wheel truing

Don Geiger's was delivered today. I rordered it right before the 4th while Don was on the road. I had previously bought upgrade wheels and the balancing kit...still bumpy. I dressed both wheels and now no bump.
    Don't know that it can get any better than that. It's a few more $$ than the oneway but seems "mikeyproof".

After using several and seeing Don Geiger's I am going to order it Monday.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

For those on the fence, Hartville Tool is running a sale right now, the rules are no posting publicly visible prices, but if anyone is interested, pm me for the sale price. I was looking at the different options until I got that price, I'm going to go with that.

To clarify, I'm referring to the woodnet sale, not the current, publicly visible sale prices.
    Last edited by Jim Terrill; 07-11-2010 at 1:30 AM.

Jim - not sure which rule you are thinking of but it is OK for you to post a link to the Hartville Tool site that shows which 'tool' you are talking about.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Jim - not sure which rule you are thinking of but it is OK for you to post a link to the Hartville Tool site that shows which 'tool' you are talking about.
    It's the rules of the sale that I am referring to. The item is this one: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/14683

However the (true) sale price is not posted and the owners of Hartville Tool have asked that no one post the sale prices in public, only through PMs. The "sale" price that you see now is higher than the actual sale price through the Woodnet sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Conklin View Post
    I am looking for some feedback from ya'll. Looking at the following wheel dressers, and needs to hear some thoughts.

Oneway

Geiger's

And this one, endorsed by Bill Grumbine.

http://sierramold.com/WD_Dresser.htm

The Geiger and Sierra mold look pretty similar, with the Geiger's looking a bit beefier, but the Sierra looks a bit more versitile....

Thoughts?
    Many of you may not be aware there are two Geiger dressers. The short one (GWT&DS 1" & 2") is only for tool rests measuring from 1" to 2" front to back (MAXIMUM!).This model was introduced in 1975. This model is offered wholesale to many distributors around the world and is sold mostly to machinists that commonly use smaller tool rests.

The model I designed (in 2006) to be used on the Wolverine platform, which is 3" front to back, is the GWT&DS 3". If you try to use the shorter one on a 3" tool rest, the fulcrum point will be too far back and the tool will vibrate and you will most like not get satisfactory results. Also the shank that supports the diamond will be extended past the O-ring and the threads will get clogged up by the dust produced when dressing the wheels.

Below is a photo of both models. You can easily see the 3" model is longer and has significantly more mass.

The 1" & 2" model isn't designed for use on the Wolverine platform.

Just for clarification, I offer both models, but the 3" model is only available from me.

Sincerely,
    Don Geiger