Thread: mounting a stock feeder on Shaper

Blog Entries

mounting a stock feeder on Shaper

now that I've just acquired a Delta stock feeder for my shaper with assist from Bing Cashback... how do I decide the best location for mounting it? I don't see any problems with drilling holes tapping them, etc., but I'd sure rather not mount it once and then decide it would be better to move it 3 inches one way or the other.....

Suggestions? Thanks.

My shaper came pre-drilled for the power feeder, with holes at the back left corner and the back right corner of the table. I mounted mine at the back left.

My shaper has a fairly large table, but I have heard of cases where an extension was required on a smaller table, so the mount didn't interfere with the fence at the extreme position.

I have one of those small shaper and yes I would have to add an extension if I was to go with a conventional type feeder. Mounting in back left corner seems to be the best place from what I have seen.

My shaper and 16" jointer are set up next to one another in a "V" pattern, and I have a 1 hp power feeder mounted on my on the right rear corner of the shaper. This allows me to swing it over to use as a power feeder on my jointer's outfeed table (which really comes in handy when jointing long boards).

My previous shaper had the power feeder mounted in the left rear corner, both have worked equally well.

Bill,
    Mount the feeder base in a position that will allow you to swing the PF away from the fence/cutter without catching on the fence plates. Also close enough so that all the clamp levers are easy to access from the front of the machine.
    The easier it is to setup and use the more you'll use it. Mine is in the sweet spot and it an absolute pleasure to use. Easy initial setup and quick to repeat positioning.

Good luck,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Ferandin View Post
    Bill,
    Mount the feeder base in a position that will allow you to swing the PF away from the fence/cutter without catching on the fence plates. Also close enough so that all the clamp levers are easy to access from the front of the machine.
    The easier it is to setup and use the more you'll use it. Mine is in the sweet spot and it an absolute pleasure to use. Easy initial setup and quick to repeat positioning.

Good luck,
    John

This is VERY GOOD advice...

Since I am left-handed, they say I think with the right side of my brain. I reasoned that since almost all work is done from the right side of the shaper, feeding stock from right to left, the stock feeder should also be mounted on the right side. That way, all controls are within easy reach if a tweak is needed while running stock through.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Hi Bill, if my feeder were mounted on the right corner, it would limit the range of motion due to the knuckle arrangement on my feeder.

That's probably why the instruction manual for my feeder prohibits the right hand mounting on spindle moulders.

I suggest you refer to the manufacturers instructions, or play with the feeder on your workbench to ensure that it can be used in the horizontal and vertical orientation with your planned installation before you actually start drilling holes.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you the manual for my feeder.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-12-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added Post Script