Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Bench Finished

Mobile Bench Finished

When I had a cabinet saw with an substantial outfeed table/bench I ended up using the saw top a lot as a work surface. When I changed to a Euro Slider I decided I needed more bench space and I decided a mobile bench would be the most flexible for me. I ended up building one that is about 6 ft long and 32" wide with 21 full extension drawers. It rides on Zambus leveling casters. Because I will also want to roll it out of the garage at times I went with much larger Zambus casters, 1000 lb rated ones, so I could get a larger diameter wheel to roll over the expansion joint between the garage and the driveway. The top is two layers of MDF with formica on top, edged with hard maple. The edging is held in place with glue and Miller Dowels so I can easily cut it off and replace it later.

Here is a pic of the large Zambus caster under the bench next to the 300 lb rated Zambus I used on most machines.

Very nice design.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

That looks really nice!

Just curious, tho. Why did you decide to use the huge Zambus casters? Didn't those cost more that the rest of the bench together?

Thats looking very good. Where did you get the casters and what was the cost?

How is that carcase assembled? Is that three cabinets glued/screwed together? I can't tell from the pics if the bottom piece of plywood is continuous or not.

Very nice, BTW.

Nice! I'm about to build a mobile bench myself, and very interested in everyone else's designs. What kind of sliders did you use for the drawers?

Those casters -- how do you lock them? Do you have to spin the red thingies every time, and isn't that time-consuming?

mark

Blog Entries
    A mobile worktable with drawers was the first and last project I built on the garage floor. It has earned its keep for years. Yours looks great. Well done. Are you left handed?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the nice comments. I used the much larger Zambus casters because on occasion I will roll the bench out of the garage and onto the driveway and I wanted larger wheels to make rolling over the expansion joints easier. In the shop I have filled the expansion joints with a material designed specifically for that purpose. I bought them from Zambus, just searched for them online. It think they were $59 each.

I chose leveling casters over other means because there are times when I'll want the bench to be level, and the garage floor slopes towards the door. I have the Zambus on several tools and the red spinning knobs move easily and quickly. You can also use a wrench if the machine or bench is very heavy.

I am right handed. I put the vise on the right side of the bench because I often want to clamp things I need to cut and I use my right hand to cut with. I am not really sure why, but I've been doing this hobby for 30 years, my own shop for 21 years, and in that 21 years this is the first vise I've had to use. I actually got that Wilton vise 21 years ago when I bought a used Unisaw with a bunch of clamps and other items. It has been on the floor under a bench since I moved to this house 20 years ago. I've never really had a good place to install it before.

With the move to the big Felder slider I've had to make several tools mobie. Prior to this I was able to have all the tools stationary and still have one of the three bays for a car when no in the middle of a project.

The drawers ride on over travel Accuride slides, I think the model number is 3834. The drawers are 14" deep and 18" wide. I have much larger ones in another bench, 21" deep, and they are a hassle because it seems that stuff always migrates to the back of the drawer.
    Last edited by Joe Jensen; 07-11-2010 at 3:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Joe.

I like it. It looks like a very useful piece. Are the drawers for tool storage?

PHM

Hey, I'm sure that was just a prototype. I'll take it off your hands so you can build the one you REALLY want. Very nice!
    I drink, therefore I am.

The drawers are for storing tools and lots of other things. Drill, chargers, bits, etc in 5 drawers. Spray guns, brushes, stuff like that in others. Sharpener in one, all but 3 are full now, and the shop is a lot less cluttered.

Love all the drawers.. That is motivational. I imagine you could store a whack of stuff inside that cabinet.

I like that there are lots of smaller drawers.. That will help you be more organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    In the shop I have filled the expansion joints with a material designed specifically for that purpose.
    I like your bench and your design. What material did you use to fill the cracks? Is there another covering over that, i.e., wood or tile?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post
    I like your bench and your design. What material did you use to fill the cracks? Is there another covering over that, i.e., wood or tile?
    I used an epoxy expansion joint filler that is self leveling. It is supposed to have some flex to allow for slab movement, but it seems pretty hard to me. It was hard to use in a garage slab as the garage floor is pitched toward the front for drainage. This make the self leveling material want to run downhill. I had to keep troweling the material uphill as it set.

I bought from Durall Industrial Flooring 800-466-8910. But, I recently saw a large tube of expansion joing filler at Lowes that I would experiment with. If your floor is level, the Durall would be awesome, If not, something that is thicker before set would be easier.

Joe, as always, you ROCK! Great mobile bench!

I just installed 12 wheels on some mobile bases I built for TS, BS and Jointer...

I went with the FootMasters, instead of Zambus, as they are ratcheted leveling casters, you pull out the ring, and ratchet the rubber foot up and down.....

It works like this.....

$60 - $90 each, not cheap, but very versatile and it looks as if the plastic wheel will perform well...I hate replacing casters... like some cheapos I bought from Rockler last year.... I also buy load capacity min. 2x what is anticipated...