Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Best Craigslist Score??

Would have to be the PM66 I brought home on Thursday for $400.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kevin and Kevin, both of those are great scores!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Lately I'm scoring off the 'creek much better than I am off CL. Have to catch stuff here almost as soon as it posts else it's gone...

Kapex for $350

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Lee, NC View Post
    Kapex for $350
    Bet that involved a divorce...

Powermatic 71 12" cabinet saw $1!!!!! 3ph 5hp.
    OK, that was my fathers score but I helped him rebuild it and he gave it to me. The guy rented the space and it came with the saw. He didn't want to scrap the saw... and was very helpful in loading the saw for my father.

Last weekend I scored a Porter Cable 314 worm drive trim saw for $33. I have been looking at these saws for probably ten plus years now.

$100 for an ultrasonic blind cleaner is right up at the top of my list of good deals. It was originally a $9000 unit. It hasn't seen any blinds yet but it is excellent for old car parts, dirty tools, riffles and what ever else I can think of to put in there.

$100 Davis and Wells Horizontal boring machine. The slide had a cracked bearing. It as good as new since I replaced it.

$25 Bosch jig saw in perfect shape was a good deal as I really needed a decent jig saw.

$10 Porter Cable 505 1/2 sheet sander WITH the dust collector. (I now have 4 of these so I don't have to change paper between different grits)
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 01-30-2012 at 2:00 PM.

I have to update my entries to include 2. A Central Machinery bench top mortiser, traded for a Delta CMS I found on the curb and cleaned up, and a Dremel 1671 scroll saw for $60.00, which has been doing exactly what scroll saws should do...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    #1. Central Machinery, oh heck, just about any 110V 8" jointer for under $250.00. The Central Machinery 8" tends to come up every so often for about $200.00... From what I have seen add some Freud knives to them, and they are a good basic machine. Of course OLD Rockwell jointers would be preferred but are usually out of my $$ range...
    I have had one of those stupid 6" harbor freight jointers for about 10 years now. I can't upgrade the stupid thing because it works too well. Wish I paid the extra for the 8" when I bought my 6"... but the stupid 6" has never really not done the job for me. Longer tables would be nice though. I use my 6" a lot and I just use the cheap 6" blades.

I have my list of things I look for... eventually they will come up. I spent at least 10 years looking for a horizontal boring machine... found a Davis and Wells for $100 locally. I just picked up a 4 1/2" Porter Cable trim saw last weekend for $33. I don't know how long I have been looking for one after reading on here how much they are liked.

The OP date for this thread is 2010.....!! I remeber this and didn't have a good score.

Here's my score now. Crown David Ellsworth 5/8" PM bowl gouge, Sorby hollowmaster, boring bar and tips, Ray Keys 1/4" box gouge, couple no name chisels, inflatable drum sanding kit AND a moisture meter. For 110 bucks.

Blog Entries
    Dang. Really don't see that everyday do you?

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Bet that involved a divorce...

I'm like Cary, no time to surf and can't pounce quick enuff when something turns up.

My only purchase was a good one, IMHO: NIB Rockler Jessem Mit'r Excell, $100.

3000 bd ft. of vertical grain old growth douglas fir.....5/4 thick, 9" wide, 20' long planks....$400 delivered (50 miles).
    Last edited by Bob Falk; 01-30-2012 at 9:50 PM.

I have gotten a ton of stuff off of CL to outfit my little dungeon garage shop. I have purchased 3 Shopsmith machines. The first one was an early 60's Mark VII which was only made for a few years and tilts both left and right for over table/under table operations which the original Mark V could not do. I also got the 4" Jointer and Scroll saw SPT's with that find for $300. I completely tore it down and replaced all the rolling gear bearings, belts etc. and cleaned it up and it has worked perfectly ever since. I then found a 54' Mark V that was in horrible condition but was only $99 on Ebay that i won on the last day of the auction because nobody else wanted it. I took that machine down to bare metal and completely restored it planning on selling it but couldn't get any interest in it and it is better than new after i finished with it. Then the best one was a Shopsmith DC 3300 dust collector that the guy wanted $30 for I went to look at it and he also had a complete 84' Shopsmith Mark V machine with many extras. I wasn't looking for another SS but when he said do you want it and told me he only wanted $85 for it I couldn't say no. The dust collector was plug and play and I did the bearings and belts on the Mark V. I recently scored a nice Devilbiss 80 Ga. 220 V. two stage twin cylinder compressor for $550. Guy wanted $800 and I haggled him down to $550 once we got into my garage and I smelled smoke inside the filter element. The thing runs perfectly needs only the auto-shutoff valve replaced at some point (leaks) but i think that was a damn good deal as those compressors never list for less than $800 and usually more than that. Now I have something that can handle my small blast cabinet. Too many other smaller deals. I sold my other compressor on CL one week later for $50 more than I bought it for on CL. I love CL but you have to be very persistent checking and really fast as the really good stuff doesn't last long at all.

Here is the completely restored 54' Mark V

And here is a Shopsmith 11" bandsaw on a powerstand that I scored on CL for $250 which wasn't a bad deal I have upgraded the saw with the aluminum bigger table and circle cutting jig. It is a good little saw but is too limited so i am on the lookout for an 18" saw and will be patient as one will eventually show up.

Last edited by Michael Mayo; 01-30-2012 at 11:07 PM.

1929 Oliver 88D /sliding table quadrant/g style fence with bed extension and dual wheel concentric upfront controls ......

Bought it from a Pennsylvania CL add a friend sent to me back in Sept of 2011..

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=Oliver+88d

This is an extremely rare saw and the asking price was justified , We worked out a deal considering the drive we had to get the saw...

My only CL purchase...

B,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    And here is a Shopsmith 11" bandsaw on a powerstand that I scored on CL for $250 which wasn't a bad deal I have upgraded the saw with the aluminum bigger table and circle cutting jig. It is a good little saw but is too limited so i am on the lookout for an 18" saw and will be patient as one will eventually show up.
    I keep thinking about "upgrading" to the newer bandsaw table, but going from cast iron to aluminum feels like I'm going in the wrong direction. Having had both tables what's your take?