Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Best Craigslist Score??

1. Just a few of the tools I bought watching Craigslist

Baldor 1022W 1 HP 10 inch low speed grinder $150
    Delta 31-250 18x36 drum sander $300
    Powermatic 90 lathe $400
    Oliver 192D 20 inch band saw $200
    Rockwell Super 900 radial arm saw $50
    Jet DC1182 dust collector $150
    All were in working order, plug and play. I did rebuild the PM90 headstock, new bearings and a lot of cleaning up on the Reeves drive. The Oliver band saw got all new bearings and long overdue rubber tires. The radial arm saw got stripped and painted and a new stock table

Steve Petersen

you snagged an Oliver 192 Band Saw for $200.00 ,

IS it in good shape....?

B,

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I keep thinking about "upgrading" to the newer bandsaw table, but going from cast iron to aluminum feels like I'm going in the wrong direction. Having had both tables what's your take?
    I don't really know yet but I do like the aluminum table better than the cast iron one. It is bigger and i had more room to mount the Kreg bandsaw fence that I have. I don't have the OEM bandsaw fence so i had to buy the Kreg fence when I bought the saw. It seems to be just as solid as the cast iron table and maybe more so because it weighs a lot less and the trunnions as you know on this little bandsaw are pretty wimpy. I need to get a couple of new saw blades for it the ones that came with it are shot. I also removed and replaced the original bandsaw guide bushings with roller bearings and that seemed to make a significant difference in the saws performance. I would love to get the Carter guides but they cost way more than i am willing to spend on this little saw. The bearings I used to replace the bushings cost next to nothing so that was a no brainer. Now I just have to modify the housing for some dust collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    We got back from Texas "early" Sunday morning after a 16 hour round trip.

Pictures will follow after we get it all off loaded & into the shop.

PDF of Excel Spread Sheet Attached.

Steve

P.S. Lathe has less than 20 hours on it . . . . and it looks it . . .
    Now that is WAY over-gloating when you post a spreadsheet. YOU SUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    I don't really know yet but I do like the aluminum table better than the cast iron one. It is bigger and i had more room to mount the Kreg bandsaw fence that I have. I don't have the OEM bandsaw fence so i had to buy the Kreg fence when I bought the saw. It seems to be just as solid as the cast iron table and maybe more so because it weighs a lot less and the trunnions as you know on this little bandsaw are pretty wimpy. I need to get a couple of new saw blades for it the ones that came with it are shot. I also removed and replaced the original bandsaw guide bushings with roller bearings and that seemed to make a significant difference in the saws performance. I would love to get the Carter guides but they cost way more than i am willing to spend on this little saw. The bearings I used to replace the bushings cost next to nothing so that was a no brainer. Now I just have to modify the housing for some dust collection.
    Thanks for the information. I bought the new cover that had the dust collector port, but haven't actually hooked up a dust collector to it. I suspect it works as well (or as poorly) as most dust collection that attaches to the cover and doing something just below the table will be more effective. I'm not too anxious to work on the dust collection for this saw because it will be mounted and unmounted frequently. To that end, the new table does sound interesting just to reduce the weight. I use Timber Wolf blades on mine, Woodcraft had the right size in stock. I've gotten good service out of them. Biggest thing I've go to address is that scream from the thrust bearing when I'm cutting <g>.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 02-01-2012 at 8:53 AM. Reason: typo

I purchased two 36" bands saws for $200. [$100 ea] Both were running and in decent shape.
    Also purchased a Powermatic 20" top planer for $200. Needed sharpening, but runs great.
    Ira

Wow, Ira, those were STEALS!
    I drink, therefore I am.

8. 24" SCMI Bandsaw - $400

bandsaw.jpg

Jeremy, the smirk on your face is classic. Craigslist is the realization of the old phrase 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'
    -Brian

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Jeremy, the smirk on your face is classic. Craigslist is the realization of the old phrase 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'
    -Brian
    Yeah, plus it was the first week in my new to me 1800 sqft shop and unloaded the bandsaw with a new to me Big Joe walkie stacker that a friend gave me. All smirks that week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Pense View Post
    24" SCMI Bandsaw - $400

bandsaw.jpg

Holy Highway Theft, Batman...
    I drink, therefore I am.

13. Is someone keeping score? The purchase I am most proud of is a new, on the crate, 36-336 Delta Unisaw for $1500. This was in June 2009 and they were not yet widely available. The guy worked for a contractor supply company and won it from the Jackson, TN Delta plant for being top salesman. Did not have room for a cabinet saw. It was like Christmas opening all the new parts assemblies and putting together something that I didn't have to fix or clean up! BTW the saw has had zero issues.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Stephens View Post
    The purchase I am most proud of is a new, on the crate, 36-336 Delta Unisaw for $1500. This was in June 2009 and they were not yet widely available. The guy worked for a contractor supply company and won it from the Jackson, TN Delta plant for being top salesman. Did not have room for a cabinet saw. It was like Christmas opening all the new parts assemblies and putting together something that I didn't have to fix or clean up! BTW the saw has had zero issues.

you do suck, but im green with jealousy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Thanks for the information. I bought the new cover that had the dust collector port, but haven't actually hooked up a dust collector to it. I suspect it works as well (or as poorly) as most dust collection that attaches to the cover and doing something just below the table will be more effective. I'm not too anxious to work on the dust collection for this saw because it will be mounted and unmounted frequently. To that end, the new table does sound interesting just to reduce the weight. I use Timber Wolf blades on mine, Woodcraft had the right size in stock. I've gotten good service out of them. Biggest thing I've go to address is that scream from the thrust bearing when I'm cutting <g>.
    Jerome,
    The squeal is easily fixed by retrofitting some roller bearings in place of the thrust bearing/bushings that come stock on the little bandsaw. I found a post on the Shopsmith Forums from a guy who did it and posted all the specs for the parts. It cost less than $30 if I remember. I got the bearings from VXB Bearings online and the rest of it at the local hardware store. This modification replaces the single bushings with double roller bearings and it quieted the saw down significantly. I will try and find the post and shoot you a link.

Sent you a PM with further info.
    Last edited by Michael Mayo; 02-08-2012 at 8:18 PM.