Thread: which WOOD WOULD you use?

which WOOD WOULD you use?

OK, I promised my sister two adirondack chairs for her front porch. It is under roof, but not fully enclosed. Generally free from any precipitation. I would like to use something that will stand up but not break the bank. Redwood or cedar are probably out because of costs. What would be a step down from them in price that will be suitable for outdoor under roof?

I will likely leave them natural, but would consider some coating other than paint, if that helps the decision.

That pretty much leaves cypress for budget reasons, or maybe SYP. Possibly some of that torrified poplar if you can find it at a decent price. Most other decent outdoor species in a clear grade that I can think of aren't cheap either.

Rick
    I would use eastern white cedar. You should be able to find it for a decent price.

I'm really impressed with how my natural cypress ones are holding up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you can't find cedar at a decent price, you might try white oak.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I'm happy with cypress ... I built these last year, also for a covered, but open porch.

I used regular old pine but painted. Under cover on a porch. Lasted about 20 years.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Cedar decking is pretty cheap and is readily available from Lowes if you are willing to have knots in it. The only thing is you have to check the moisture content, I bought some last summer that was soaking wet and some last week that was dry. It was about $1/lf last time I checked, and 8' boards were less than 12' boards per linear foot.

I second the white oak , but not red oak.
    Chad
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Checked a few prices, probably go with cypress unless I decide to paint them. white oak is more than cypress and I can get the cypress in the width I need for the arms. still deciding.

Blog Entries
    My vote would be for cypress......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

12. outdoors under cover?
    I'd like white Oak.
    Strong, rot resistant works well, use SST fasteners.

Brought some cypress home yesterday. Will try to remember to post some pics when completed. May be a while, it's golf season and busier work season, too.

Good choice! +1 on the cypress.
    Fullerbuilt