Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My PBB upgrade.

One of the other reasons I don't like to cut from the back of the rail is because of the MDF dust plume!

Gotta add dust collection to my saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After I cut the MDF panels to 22.75" long I had a choice. I could either continue cutting from the back side of the of the rail (and stand in the dust plume) or cut the right way......

I took the panel which I had cut to 22.75" wide and placed it on the other side of the rail against the saw blade. I the moved the length stop against the cut edge and tightened the knob. This set the length to 22.75" (basically using the shelf as a story stick. Again this step won't be necessary when I put the measuring tapes on (But I was in a hurry )).

I cut two identical shelves from each piece of the board.

I finished up the 5 shelves I needed fairly quickly. I decided to go ahead and cut the trim pieces to length and nail them in place. So I got out my sliding compound miter saw and set it up. Took about 5 minutes.....

As I went to the basement to retrieve the rough pieces i had cut up for this purpose it occurred to me that I could make the cuts on the PBB. The plans called for simple butt joints. Since the length stop was already set for 22.75 inches, I could cut 10 boards to size without changing anything. So I did. Times were comparable.

I never used the Compound miter saw and wish I hadn't taken it out cause now I had to put it back.

The neat part for me was that all the parts were the same length. That was a weakness that the PBB had before, inadequate fence system.

I mounted the shelf vertically to the side of the PBB using EZ clamps. I used Titebond 3 glue and brad nails to attach the trim. After adding the trim to the first side of the shelf, I flipped it over and did the second side.

I then had a brain storm and realized I didn't need to measure the remaining sides for the shelf to set the trim length.

Here is what I did: I took the shelf I had just added trim to and laid it on the table with the trim touching the blade and set my length stop. I removed the shelf and cut the trim to length. They fit every time.

I don't think I explained that well so I made another shelf and took this picture.

That is my first project with my upgraded PBB. I made shelves to hold my tools. All they need is sanding and mounted tools.

I am not done upgrading my PBB yet so I hope folks enjoyed this story, because I would like to post more.

Bill

A lot of ideas in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    A lot of ideas in this thread!
    Thanks Van, but I am just standing on the shoulders of giants. Check out these links. They are to someone using the new EZ-One and some home built accessories.

http://picasaweb.google.com/burt1947...43763936869714

http://picasaweb.google.com/burt1947...12330448421874

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Griggs View Post
    One of the other reasons I don't like to cut from the back of the rail is because of the MDF dust plume!

Gotta add dust collection to my saw.
    Bill. Get the dust port from Ryobi or get one from ezone.
    To get good dust collection you must enclose the front of your saw with a clear piece of plastic. I use the ez dust port and dust shield.
    No dust.
    Many thanks for posting. that was very educational.

Sorry for not posting recently. I have been down with a summer cold and haven't felt like getting out and cutting anything.

Bill

Bill

I've been so busy using my PBB I haven't kept up with any of the new features. I found some time and watched the YouTube presentation of the EZ One, it has some interesting features that I will have to try out. I like the new stops your using and I'd like to take a closer look at the new sliding fence. I also checked out Burt's photo group on the Tracksawforum explaining some of the new additions.

Our design is still quite versitile but the EZ One seems to have some advantages. I will probably do as you have and integrate some the EZ One features to my design rather than starting over.

If you get the time, you should put some vents in your tabletop, it really helps with keeping the tabletop clear of dust when doing alot of cuts back to back. I made a template with two rows of vents and just moved the template along as I routed the rows of vents. I used a top bearing straight bit to make the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Bill

I've been so busy using my PBB I haven't kept up with any of the new features. I found some time and watched the YouTube presentation of the EZ One, it has some interesting features that I will have to try out. I like the new stops your using and I'd like to take a closer look at the new sliding fence. I also checked out Burt's photo group on the Tracksawforum explaining some of the new additions.

Our design is still quite versitile but the EZ One seems to have some advantages. I will probably do as you have and integrate some the EZ One features to my design rather than starting over.

If you get the time, you should put some vents in your tabletop, it really helps with keeping the tabletop clear of dust when doing alot of cuts back to back. I made a template with two rows of vents and just moved the template along as I routed the rows of vents. I used a top bearing straight bit to make the cuts.
    Paul,

The new fences are a great addition. I didn't really post any pictures of them but I plan to. There are actually three kinds of fences included and they each do a slightly different task.

I keep meaning to put some vents in the top. I just never seem to get around to it. The easiest way would be to program it in Aspire and throw the boards on my CNC Router table ...... Hmmmmmm.

"I just realized that folks can't tell I am joking. I would probably really just use the SRK". I actually have both pieces of equipment but for this particular exercise teh SRK is faster."

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Griggs; 07-19-2010 at 8:16 PM. Reason: explanation

Bill,

Nice job on this PBB. I like yours and Paul's design. One question for you: what was the reason for the plywood strips under the SME's? More support for the longer SME's?

I just purchased some used EZ equipment and am planning to build something very similar. I'd be curious as to how often you make use of the extended SME's. I'm considering mounting them as hinged wings that can fold down when not in use.

Thanks,

Frank
    The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Frank,

The strips are just to allow us to attach the SME to the frame. If I was building a PBB now, I would use Super SME and small connectors. That would allow the extrusion to slide to different positions. A lot of developement has happen in the last few months. I suggest you look up the new EZ ONE tool. Several new items have been added to the lineup. Forum rules prevent me from elaborating further.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Frank McKinney View Post
    Bill,

Nice job on this PBB. I like yours and Paul's design. One question for you: what was the reason for the plywood strips under the SME's? More support for the longer SME's?

I just purchased some used EZ equipment and am planning to build something very similar. I'd be curious as to how often you make use of the extended SME's. I'm considering mounting them as hinged wings that can fold down when not in use.

Thanks,

Frank

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the new equipment and following on the track saw forum, but I purchased this lot of materials locally and want to make the best use of it while learning the concept and taking advantage of its flexibility before making purchases of new equipment.

Frank
    The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.