Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My PBB upgrade.

My PBB upgrade.

A few years ago I decided to build a Power Bench with Bridge table using Kreg pocket hole screws. For those of you who aren't familiar with what a PBB is, it is a multifunction table which will allow you to rip, crosscut, bevel, route and plane, using a variety of interchangeable hand tools, (eg. Circular saw, Router , hand planer etc.). My system was based on a Track saw rail system from Eurekazone. There are many Tracksaws on the market, this is the one I bought and use.

The basic construction of my PBB is 3/4"plywood. I did a design layout in Alibre Design Cad software. The PBB was to have movable sliding panels to increase the size of the table to support wood in different configurations. Paul Greathouse was the originator of this particular design, this is my version.

The top of the bench had slot to catch the sawdust, while the bottom was to have a dust collection system attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Griggs; 07-11-2010 at 7:43 PM. Reason: add more detail.

I used the EZ Smart guide rail to cut out several 4" wide strips of plywood to build the frame. I used the Kreg pocket hole jig to drill holes for the special Kreg screws. Once all the holes were drilled, construction went very quickly.

Building the frame took about one hour.

I used some more 4" strips of plywood to make legs for the PBB and added 4" Casters to them. I mounted 4 Sliding Module extrusions (SME) to the top of the table to accept sliding panels.

I also mounted some SME to the sides of the table to mount the bridge.

Here is the configuration I ended up with. A B-200 bridge was used along with a 64" rail.

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY:

I use my PBB quite a bit but when I built it I was low on funds so I didn't customize it very much. I wanted to have an easier method of handling thicker wood and also a faster turn around when changing the material. The answer was the B-300 bridge.

The B-300 bridge adds a long handle to positively trap the material beneath the rail while cutting, to give a cleaner cut. Additionally several new modular pieces have been released that make common woodworking tasks easier. I want to document my upgrades as I go along so that others can learn.

My hope is to modify my PBB to be closer in features to the EZ One, Eurekazone's top of the line system. The Eurekazone folks have come up with a unique group of feature that I would like. My first step was to order a B-300 to replace my B-200.

About the time I ordered Eurekazone also announced some new parts for the EZ One. I got those parts as well. I will show them later in this thread (or maybe a thread of there own). Eurekazone has created an erector set of new parts that can be used in many different ways and with all previous part.

If you haven't heard of the EZ-One you can Google it or go to youtube and find several videos which show what it can do. The major difference between my PBB and the EZ-One is that mine uses wood aqnd the EZ-One doesn't. The EZ-One is all made of extrusions and is totally adjustable. My PBB is more of a fixed design.

Blog Entries
    Interesting project, well executed, but, what does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Good question. Before I continue with the posts about the project, I think I will show you what I did using in it's current configuration. I started showing this build from the beginning so you will know what I changed at the end.

The PBB is a way to use a Track saw more like a table saw. For most operations it is a good substitute. The major difference for me is that my fingers don't go near the blade while in operation. Breaking down sdheet good and doing long rips are where it shines. This is just a home brew way of getting the features of a much more expensive model.

Three weeks ago I built an organizer for a walk in closet. I first added Aeromatic Cedar to the back wall of the closet and then cut the organizer parts from malamine using the PBB and a Circular saw. I then used Kreg pocket holes for the joinery. This was a nice weekend project.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to a video which describes the Tracksaw principal..... However here it is. Moderator, if there is a problem, with posting this please remove the link and let me know, thanks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvxh...layer_embedded

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Griggs; 07-12-2010 at 11:20 AM.

The B-300 and the B-200 bridges are both made of HDPE plastic and have aluminum parts attached to them. The B-200 was moved by lifting up on the guide track and then sliding a piece of wood beneath it. Because of the design, there was very little travel or distance beneath the bridge, under normal use. To increase the area under the bridge required you to loosen knobs and use a carpenters square.

The B-300 solved this problem by using a lever handle with a longer throw. This also had the added advantage of applying a clamping force to the piece of wood while it was being cut.

The first picture shows the B-300. The second picture compares the two.

Great job on the PBB Bill,

It looks alot like mine, except yours is mobile. I haven't got around to adding a dust collection port to mine. I just slide the plywood panels out of the way and vacuum it out with a shop vac when it gets full.

I do alot of ripping on mine and I can see that the cutoff pieces that fall through the vent slots could have the ability to clog even a decent sized duct. If I do add dust collection later, I will probably put some sort of grid over the collection port to prevent the cutoff pieces from entering the duct.

Lowell,

I'll answer for Bill and he can add to my response if he wishes to.
    I use mine for cutting plywood to finished size and for ripping hardwood for stiles, rails and other misc. cabinet parts. Pretty much any cuts that I would have made on a tablesaw that are 50" or less.

The Bridge that Bill is referring to is a pair swivel brackets that attach the rail to the table. The rail can be raised and lowered on the Bridge to slide wood under it for cutting. There is another bracket that you attach to your circular saw that allows the saw to travel on the rail and produce a straight cut.

The tracksaw way of doing things may not be for everyone but it works great for me for certain tasks. I have built 5 rooms of cabinets (2 kitchens and 3 baths) so far without a tablesaw. With that being said I will be buying another tablesaw when Grizzly finally gets the new line of 1023's in because there are things I would rather do on a tablesaw, but the PBB and tracksaw will always have a place in my shop.

To replace the B-200 you fist loosen the knobs which hold the rail to the top of the bridge. The rail slides to one side and off the connectors.

Rail removed from one side of the B-200.

Repeat the process on the opposite side of the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    It looks like Bill's PBB is his customized version of a "multi function table", or MFT in Festool parlance. EurekeZone and Festool seem to be the two major contenders in the system-based approach to woodworking. Both seem to start with a circular saw, an Al-extrusion track that guides the saw, and a work surface. From there the options and inovative ways to use each line's products seem to be nearly limitless.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?