Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 or 1 or 1/2 dozen of the other

6 or 1 or 1/2 dozen of the other

I'm growing another year older and my wife and daughter want to get me a BD gift.
    I have the Sorby Sovereign handle and two 1/2" gouges for it. I was thinking that maybe a 3/8" should be next. Is there any difference other than preference from like P&N, Thompson and Sorby?
    Since I'm new to bowl turning, are there any other things I should put on the list? I don't have bowl calipers, but I do have spindle sets. The only DVD I have is Bowl Basics by Mahoney.
    Thanks for helping with my birthday.....
    Josh

A couple of ideas would be Bill Grumbine's DVDs, or Raffan's book "The Art of Turned Bowls - these are excellent source materials that you can refer to over and over.

For tools, I use a 3/8" and 1/4" Thompson detail gouges for finial work, but I also use them for detail work on bowls such as small beads, some detailing on the bowl bottoms, etc.

Then, there are always more chucks - can't have too many!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Then, there are always more chucks - can't have too many!!
    I'm not thinking outside the box! Why so many chucks?

Two chucks can be handy. Dunno about more. A 3/8 bowl gouge is also very handy. I frequently use two or even three sizes on any one project as the work progresses.
    Richard in Wimberley

If somebody wanted to get me another Thompson bowl gouge, I'd trip over my feet to get at it. I use the 1/2 and 3/8 every time I turn. With this bigger lathe, a 5/8 gouge would be great. And I want a scraper, and a skew, and a .......

I just got a second chuck, and I'm not sure how I managed to live without it. I love DVD's, so it's hard to go wrong there. I use my vessel calipers a fair bit, so they are pretty handy. I've had my eye on a collet chuck for a little while. Wow, I just realized that I want a bunch of stuff. Happy birthday!

Don't think you can beat Thompson's. I love my 3/8" and 1/2".
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    I'm not thinking outside the box! Why so many chucks?
    Josh I have seven chucks. I have different jaws on each of them. 3 are for the two small lathes 1 X 8 and 4 for the Nova 1 1/4 X 8. I hate changing jaws. Can't have to many chucks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

from my experience if you learn to work with what you have and use those items to the fullest when the day comes you get the better tools and more tools you will most definitely appreciate them more. With that being said I wished I had gone the dvd sets, and more instructional type of media.

I do not have the patience to read a book, I just cant hold focus on the material.

Happy birthday and no matter what I am sure it will be that "happy".
    It is nice when the family is for what you are doing and believes in your efforts.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I wished I had gone the dvd sets, and more instructional type of media.

I do not have the patience to read a book, I just cant hold focus on the material.
    What are some good DVD's for beginners and intermediates.

Bill Grumbine and Mike Mahoney are both good in my opinion.

Arrow DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gary DeWitt View Post
    Bill Grumbine and Mike Mahoney are both good in my opinion.

I would also include David Ellsworth and Steven Russell, http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/index.html

Because I just got my very first lathe, I ordered 13 DVDs for my learning process and I'm glad I did. Although I ordered DVDs of other turners, it was helpful to see the different turning styles between these four turners and the different tools and grinds they use with regard to making bowls. I was in email contact with three of these men because I had questions of them, and all of them answered all the questions that I had for them. Example: I watched these before I bought my tools. One question I had for Mike Mahoney was what flute shape did he use for his tools: "V" or "U" shaped. He uses a "U" shaped flute for all of his tools.

I based my decision on which DVDs to buy by going to the Craft Supplies USA web site and watching a sample of each DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    I have the Sorby Sovereign handle and two 1/2" gouges for it. I was thinking that maybe a 3/8" should be next. Is there any difference other than preference from like P&N, Thompson and Sorby?
    On the gouges, if you don't have a Thompson yet, get one of them next. Not that the others aren't equally good, it's just that the Thompsons are such good value if purchasing in the US. The only thing with the P&Ns are the flutes, which have to be polished, but they make up for that with their quality steel.

If you have not decided already you need to experiment with both 'V' and 'U' profile flutes. Most turners now use the 'V'.

Not sure why you have 2 x 1/2" gouges and no other sizes, Josh? I'd be inclined to go to a 1/4" spindle gouge next, then add a 3/8" bowl gouge when you can. If the funds don't stretch to that immediately maybe sell one of your 1/2" gouges to fund that...

You can always make your own calipers if funds are running low, but they are relatively cheap and I for one couldn't get through a turning session without them.... only problem is they just don't make them large enough!

As for DVDs, they are the next best thing if you can't get to spend some time watching some experienced turners. Pitty you can't drop over to watch Steve anymore...

Happy Birthday!

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I vote for the Grumbine DVD's. I have both and they are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    On
    If you have not decided already you need to experiment with both 'V' and 'U' profile flutes. Most turners now use the 'V'.
    Not sure why you have 2 x 1/2" gouges and no other sizes, Josh?
    Well one of the 1/2" gouges had a straight grind.......but I went to a turners shop and he made both an ellsworth grind. However per his suggestion, as you're roughing a bowl, it's nice to just change to another sharpe bit and keep going.
    I'm glad you mentioned the V. I would like to try one and think It'll be a 3/8 since I don't have one.