Thread: Is This Wood Worth Messing With?

Question Is This Wood Worth Messing With?

Hi guys & gals....

A neighbors tree was being serviced today and I got a couple pieces of limbs from the guy doing the work, he said it is Western Red Cedar.

I'm a newbie turner, only turned 40 or so pens so far but would like to expand my experience into bowls and other items using the Delta 46-460. I also need to make some handles for a couple Thompson bowl gouges

I've been admiring the work posted here for many months and you all are a great inspiration and I have learned a lot just reading everyone's posts

Is this stuff worth the attempt or firewood?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure... It's good for something. The cedar around here is pretty soft, but it turns easily. It's also fairly prone to cracking. With that said, it smells great, and if nothing else, it would be for practicing. Small limbs are great fodder for ornaments and end grain boxes. You might get a natural edge bowl out of the larger branch. Have some fun with it. You can always throw it away if you don't enjoy turning it.

Joe, as David said, all wood makes fine practice material - so give it a try. However, I would stick to hardwoods for the tool handles - the cedar probably isn't stout enough to handle that task safely.

Keep the wood even if it just used for practicing with. Make sure you seal the ends or the wood will crack real fast.

Thanks guys... I guess nearly any free wood is good practice wood

No intention of using this for the tool handles, I bought a couple pieces of Granadillo for those but I need to find a way to get them mounted. They are too big for the jaws and too hard for the spur center.

I plan on picking up some anchorseal tomorrow, hopefully the wood will still be okay.

Anyway... I'm open for suggestions on what orientation to turn the cedar pieces

Cedar is a good turning wood that can be cracky at times. Makes the shop smell good to.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree; makes the shop smell good... Turns easily, with sharp tools. End grain, or side grain, is fine... Light cuts will leave you with less tearout.
    When you sand Cedar, it needs to be sanded on slow speed without too much pressure, because a little heat will cause heat checking as you're turning it. Green, it turns well, but is sappy, and the shavings are a little sticky on your arms. Dry, the bark can still be sappy, but it still turns well. Requires a good light, and close inspection after sanding each grit, because sometimes it "hides" some of the grit marks 'til finish is applied.
    Danish Oil will bring out the color better than anything I've tried so far, and after it cures (7-10 days) you can lacquer it if you like.
    Go for it...
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Western red cedar is a totally different tree than the cedar we have in Texas and Oklahoma. Even though, it's commonly called Eastern red cedar, they are not closely related. With either one, dust protection is important.
    Good luck.

Craig, judging from the bark (less the moss), and the heart wood, it is close to the Salt Cedar (as we call it) that we have in the cedar breaks in NW Texas....
    You're right about the dust protection... it clogs me up.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Western red cedar, if that's what the wood actually is, grows in the coastal areas of Oregon, Washington and British Col. There are few old growth trees left, but they grow to be huge trees 7 or 8 ft. and more in dia. It is prized for shingles and shakes, cedar siding, and because it resists rotting, makes excellent fence posts. When I was in high school in Washington State in the 30's, I worked summers at a logging camp, logging cedar for a shingle mill. Some of the money I made during the first summer went to buy my first lathe.

As a turning wood it's considered to be pretty useless. Even though it's generally available, not many turners use it. Not even good firewood because it burns too fast. Very good for kindling though.

That's probably more than you wanted to know.

Wally

I would try to turn a bowl with the one piece that the pith is way off center. Richard Raffin says he looks for wood where the pith is off to one side and he get a good blank for a bowl. Just a thought.

Western red cedar is great for chainsaw carving ... (OK, so that's a bit off topic. How about lumberjack fan carving?)

You will be able to do some turning, but it will probably have a lot of tear out as that wood is very soft. Just look at the size of the growth rings. You may be able to get some bowls out of it, but to me, not really worth the trouble unless you don't have any other wood to turn.

Where in Oregon are you? My shop is always open, except for next week when I will be in Ontario Canada chasing Walleye and Northern.

robo hippy

Thanks again guys

Reed, I'm in Oregon City. Have fun fishin'!

Ah, the birth place of the Hacky Sack.

Joe, there are a two clubs in the Portland area, one meets in Tigard, and the other is in Vancouver I think. Clubs are a great learning source, and you can ask questions. Also, Dale Larson holds a lot of workshops at his place for very cheap.

robo hippy