Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping the Cat happy

Keeping the Cat happy

The following are a couple shots of the steps I built last week for our aging Abyssinian cat. The construction is of 1/2" plywood from HD, the leg is split 2/4 with luan 1/4" covering. The legs are attached to the riser and stringer under the stop step with 2 backer blocks to resist movement should the glue want to give. The treads are 8" deep, and the risers are 7" high, the width of the steps is 11". This was my first attempt to cover anything with carpet, and I must admit to a "just barely acceptable" job.

Picture police take note
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards, Ken

Hey Ken, I'll bet that project was "PETA Approved"!!! Further, *any* animal lover would approve your helping out your four-legged friend. Nice idea and the carpet install looks just fine from here! You're right, though...Attaching carpet, especially with some of the rather stiff backs, can be a real "pita" in itself. (Dang it, just couldn't resist that one! ) Good job and I'll bet your kitty appreciates it, as well!
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 12-04-2004 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Because I'm a bonehead.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Ken DONT let my wife see these pics ill never here the end of it!ill be spending half my shop time building stuff for her cat.

Yeah...So what? I'll bet that's WHY she thinks you HAVE the shop, in the first place! Well, OK....Projects for LOML is why MY wife thinks I have a shop!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Thumbs up

Ken,
    Show us a picture of your cat using it if you can.
    TIA
    Ron
    Spot asks is it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey Ken, I'll bet that project was "PITA Approved"!!!
    John don't you mean PETA j/k

Ken,
    Good looking set of cat steps I'm sure the cat will enjoy using them.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Crabbs
    John don't you mean PETA j/k

Ken,
    Good looking set of cat steps I'm sure the cat will enjoy using them.
    Dave
    Egads! Breathing too much Cherry dust again! Of course, you're right! I'll go back up and correct it. Thanks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Ken good job and you've given LOML some good ideas for a future project for our aging cat. Another addition to the "honeydew" list!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Schweitzer
    Ken,
    Show us a picture of your cat using it if you can.
    TIA
    Ron
    OK, Ron, here is a picture of Bob using his new stairs.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 12-07-2004 at 9:58 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Thanks Ken,
    I have a cat (Little Girl) that used to like jumping on the top on doors and now she sometimes has trouble 4 wheeling into my chair, she is +12 years old now.
    Yes she thinks she is the alpha cat still.
    Thanks for the picture,
    Ron
    Here is Little Girl several years ago.
    Last edited by Ron Schweitzer; 12-07-2004 at 10:28 PM.
    Spot asks is it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Schweitzer
    Thanks Ken,
    I have a cat (Little Girl) that used to like jumping on the top on doors and now she sometimes has trouble 4 wheeling into my chair, she is +12 years old now.
    Yes she thinks she is the alpha cat still.
    Thanks for the picture,
    Ron
    Here is Little Girl several years ago.
    Little Gril has her "headlights" on in the picture I see. We never had a cat that liked the top edge of doors, but a lot of them do

Bob is going on 16 and walks with a little bit of a limp, but he can still jump up onto a chair. We have been giving him a med called Cosiquin for his joints, I don't know if it helps but it isn't doing any harm.

Scratch Little Girl's chin for me
    Best Regards, Ken

wash day!

hey ken i thought you were making them steps so she could get cleaned up, i saw the washing machine door opened and ready for use i too have an old kitty, she is 17 and has days when she is spry as a kitten and others when she barly moves out of your way. and her atitude can turn real mean sometimes but she is still going so we tryto get along nice steps and i am sure he appreactes the gift
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

A few months ago my wife and I purchased a new bedroom set with a higher bedframe, and the matress we picked was one of those "pillow tops" which increased the bed height just enough that the aging 17+ cat couldn't make it anymore. A quick trip to the shop and I produced something very similar to yours... although I only carpeted the treads (no risers) in carpet left over from the recent carpet install, and stained the wood to match the new furniture. I'm pleased to say the cat uses it every day!

-Peter

Ken,

I hope Bob has you for many years to come; Kid (a cat) that had me for 19 years was my best friend when I needed one.

Spot, my avatar, sits on the bathroom door every day, he has even fallen asleep up there.

He likes the front door but it is seldom open and harder to jump to. (pic 1) We were waiting for the HFDC to be delivered. It ended up 5 houses down.

Spot also thinks the router table, that I don't use much, is the best viewing Spot in the downstairs shop. (pic 2)

He always follows me down stairs and he even helps when I hand sand, I think he likes the smell of sawdust. I think he is a Neanderthal; he really likes to watch me when I use planes, chisels or other hand tools.

If I use anything that makes a lot of noise he leaves, he doesn't like the sound of routers, the CMS or the vacuum at all. I don't let him into the garage shop because I have a TS, planer, air compressor and jointer in there; they have belts and he doesn't understand.

He looks at me and asks "Is it safe" or "Can I help", It makes me think.

Ron

I know this isn't a pet forum BWTH Spot likes being in the shop as much as I do.

PS I've had problems uploading images so this may not work the first try.
    Last edited by Ron Schweitzer; 12-08-2004 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Try posting pics again
    Spot asks is it safe?

Ken -

Looks like Bob the cat is really liking his stairs.

Our cat is missing one front leg (born that way) but at 4 she still gets around OK. May have to keep those stairs in mind for later on.

Ted