Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend $150

Help me spend $150

Okay folks, I know how we all love give each other advice on what to buy next so here's the situation. My fiance just gave me a gift card for $150 to spend on a hand tool of my choice. The core hand tools that I currently own and use are as follows: A Baily style No.4, a Bedrock style No. 6, an LN dovetail saw, an LN crosscut tenon saw, a Ryoba saw and my set of chisels.

So the truth is I've already more or less decided that I can no longer do without a Low Angle Block Plane. At this point I'm 90% certain that I will be getting the LV LABP. My main reason for choosing this one is all the cool accessories. I do however have one question/concern. While I know this is very individual, can anyone out there comment on how the LV LABP feels for one-handed use? I'm a pretty big guy with size L mits, but have always wondered if at the end of the day the LV LABP is really a two-handed plane.

Of course, I could get the Apron plane and then still have money left over for the small router plane. Or I could just buy the large router plane instead. Or I could buy the medium shoulder plane. Or I could put the money towards a low angle Jack, Or maybe towards an LN No 9 miter plane, Or...

So many tools, so little cash.

Any and all suggestions of what I should put the $150 towards are welcome!

I sold mine in favor of the LN. It was just too large for my hand. I had the accessories for it as well and don't miss them.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Large router plane, no question...

It is a tough choice on large router planes - LN or LV. Even Chris Schwartz can't decide and tells you he has both. I bought the LV and have used it quite a bit. Very useful for many things. Still, I say get the LN low angle adjustable mouth block. That you will never regret! Enjoy whatever you decide on!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    It is a tough choice on large router planes - LN or LV. Even Chris Schwartz can't decide and tells you he has both. I bought the LV and have used it quite a bit. Very useful for many things. Still, I say get the LN low angle adjustable mouth block. That you will never regret! Enjoy whatever you decide on!
    I love my LN 60 1/2! Its a great plane. I second the "tough choice on large router planes" I've been wanting one for quite awhile but can't make up my mind. The LV has the fence available for it, but the LN has the adapter to use the small router plane blades. Maybe Chris Schwartz has the right idea! The small router plane looks like a nifty little tool too.

some of you guys may scoff at this, and some others will absolutely scoff at this, but my $35 stanley 60-1/2, bought new three years ago, is a great little plane.

took some work to make it work, but i love it.

if it somehow went missing and i had $150 to spend, I'd kick in the extra $30 or whatever and do the stanley block and a large router from LN or LV.

Bright side is, no matter what you do you can't lose. how often is that the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Benton View Post
    some of you guys may scoff at this, and some others will absolutely scoff at this, but my $35 stanley 60-1/2, bought new three years ago, is a great little plane.

took some work to make it work, but i love it.

if it somehow went missing and i had $150 to spend, I'd kick in the extra $30 or whatever and do the stanley block and a large router from LN or LV.

Bright side is, no matter what you do you can't lose. how often is that the case?
    I'd never scoff at that! I love my Stanley no.3 I fettled, it's one of my favorite planes!

I have the LV DX60 block plane and can say that it is not too big for one handed use in my medium sized hands. The plane is beautiful. I liked my Stanley LA block plane, but after using the LV, the Stanley is now being passed onto my kids for "daddy can I do the edges" activities in the shop.

What sort of stuff do you envision making? I find my router plane to be far, far more useful than my block planes (although I am probably kind of strange that way, I'll readily admit), particularly for casework; dados and the like are much easier with one, as are rabbets and in a pinch one can serve as a plow (although the real thing is much easier to use for that).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Okay folks, I know how we all love give each other advice on what to buy next so here's the situation. My fiance just gave me a gift card for $150 to spend on a hand tool of my choice. The core hand tools that I currently own and use are as follows: A Baily style No.4, a Bedrock style No. 6, an LN dovetail saw, an LN crosscut tenon saw, a Ryoba saw and my set of chisels.

So the truth is I've already more or less decided that I can no longer do without a Low Angle Block Plane. At this point I'm 90% certain that I will be getting the LV LABP. My main reason for choosing this one is all the cool accessories. I do however have one question/concern. While I know this is very individual, can anyone out there comment on how the LV LABP feels for one-handed use? I'm a pretty big guy with size L mits, but have always wondered if at the end of the day the LV LABP is really a two-handed plane.

Of course, I could get the Apron plane and then still have money left over for the small router plane. Or I could just buy the large router plane instead. Or I could buy the medium shoulder plane. Or I could put the money towards a low angle Jack, Or maybe towards an LN No 9 miter plane, Or...

So many tools, so little cash.

Any and all suggestions of what I should put the $150 towards are welcome!
    Can't do without a low-angle block plane? You're joking, right?

Spend the $150 on some wood and build something.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
    Can't do without a low-angle block plane? You're joking, right?

Spend the $150 on some wood and build something.
    Yes, I can and have been managing without a LABP. I actually use my No. 4 for most block plane tasks without much trouble. However, I often find myself wanting something I can use comfortably in one hand. Lately I've been doing a number of boxes and am currently working on a very small cabinet, and more and more have been wishing for a block plane. That said, as much as folks love their adjustable mouths, I think for most tasks I'd be fine with a 102 or LV apron plane, so am considering those as well.

If I were to get the Large Router Plane I would definitely go with the LV. I like the fence and the closed throat. I've actually never used a router plane but can see it being one of the tools that wolud open up a whole new world of hand tool techniques for me. Will continue to ponder. More comments are welcome.

Maybe I should get the Large Router Plane and then just also fly the Apron Plane in under the radar. She won't notice $81 right?

You'll probably have a lot of use for a router plane at some point. Before I spent the money on the LN or LV, I'd see if I could try them out somewhere, because they're different.

Other option for them is to buy an old stanley and get the irons from LV - they fit the stanley 71 fine.

If you have no block plane to this point, that's what I'd get. I wouldn't worry about the fixtures, just save the rest of the money (if there's some left over) for shop consumables or wood.

David. You always leave really good advice. If I got the Apron/102 I would have plenty of other "little things" that the left over money could go towards.

Regarding trying stuff. I have yet to find a store or a person down here in New Orleans that has LN or LV stuff. However, I will say that I spoke with Angie over at LN a couple weeks ago and she informed me that a hand tool event is tentatively scheduled to come here in late October. I'm saving the big bucks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Hughes (CA) View Post
    What sort of stuff do you envision making? I find my router plane to be far, far more useful than my block planes (although I am probably kind of strange that way, I'll readily admit), particularly for casework; dados and the like are much easier with one, as are rabbets and in a pinch one can serve as a plow (although the real thing is much easier to use for that).
    How do you use a router plane for rabbets? I'm assuming you cut a kerf with a back saw, break up the waste with chisels , and the rout it out. Is this correct?