Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolmeadow Creations Shop Rehab

Coolmeadow Creations Shop Rehab

Hi all,
    Well, I had this all typed out, went to down size the photos before adding, and poof, the computer crashed! I wanted to start my pictoral of my shop rehab. Note that this will be a very slow process!!
    Picture #1 is before we bought the house, showing the shop bldg from the Northeast corner.
    Picture #2 is also before purchase, and shows the shop from the south side.

The next post will have the first in progress pictures. Thanks for looking, and as always, thoughts and ideas are welcome. I'm sure there are a lot of things I need to do that won't be as apparant to me as it will be to some of you who have already gone through this process. Jim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-05-2004 at 10:04 PM.

OK, here are the pictures that I took today after finishing framing. This addition will be the finishing room, and a place to put rescue dogs that need to be quarantined before introduced to our pack. Will probably need to add an a/c-heater if we ever need to do that for a dog. Guess I ought to look into one now, and frame an opening for it, huh? I just called a friend who put one in her garage, got it used, from a hotel remodel. 1 ton unit, heat and a/c, traded in a small 110 window a/c and got it for 80.00!! Perfect size and she says keeps her garage cool on a warm day. My kind of purchase!!

Picture 1 is from the Southeast corner.
    Picture is from the Northeast corner.

I finished this about 2:00, and went out for a burger and to get more supplies. Got a roll of Tyvek, and 13 sheets of foil faced OSB sheathing. Gosh, I sure thought the Tyvek went on first, then the sheathing, but not so says the Tyvek instructions. Also went by HF and got an air stapler. My electric one died about 6 months ago. Guess we'll see if I can cut and put any up tomorrow by myself, as the LOML is gone again tomorrow to an Agility trial in McKinney. Oh, by the way, the Coolmeadow Creations is from the dogs. Coolmeadow is the kennel name we use for our Irish Setters. I thought that adding the Creations part sounded good for the things I build. Jim.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Got a good Jump on her there Jim! Keep us posted
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Jim, it looks like a nice site, and you are off to a good start. I hope that you enjoy this shop-rehab project as much as I have enjoyed my shop-construction project.

Thanks guys. I didn't get to enjoy much today. Wet all day. Wanted to start the sheathing, but prefer to do it when it's dry out. Did some minor changes, and straightened out some problems I created. The door opening on the North side is for future use if I get to enclose the rest of the slab (which would entail changing the whole roof structure). After talking with the A/C-Heat guy my friend told me about, I prepped that doorway for this unit. Can get it for $200.00 or less, depending on which one I choose. 1 ton unit will probably be overkill for this small room, but it might almost do the whole shop if need be. I did make my decision on which door and windows to use. Went ahead and got them this pm. Even got 2 windows for the main shop building so that they would match. Found some the same bronze color as the ones on the house at Lowes, so that should look a little better than the white ones at HD.
    Hopefully I can get through all I want to see at the Woodworker show on Friday (taking the afternoon off) so that I can work on the shop Sat afternoon after I get off work. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Thanks for looking! Jim.

Jim,

It looks as if you're enjoying yourself even if the weather is not very coopeerative. At least you picked a good time of year for a construction project. Good luck and keep posting those pics!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Jim -

You are making some pretty good progress. Should be able to get the seathing up by yourself unless tthe wind is really blowing.

What roof mods are required on the north side for a door?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Jim -

You are making some pretty good progress. Should be able to get the seathing up by yourself unless tthe wind is really blowing.

What roof mods are required on the north side for a door?

Ted
    Thanks Ted. Sorry, I wasn't clear...the roof mods would only be needed if I built on beyond the existing covered patio. There is another 10 X 12 area on the same concrete pad that If I get a big extra wad of cash, I want to raise the roof on the existing structure to get 10' ceilings (I'm at 7'8" currently), and possibly a vaulted ceiling. If that ever happens, I'll enclose the remainder of the slab, and the north door opening would already be structurally there as a doorway to the new room. I would move the A/C-Heater out to the other room because it would become the dog quarantine room and I could keep my finishing room to myself instead of having to do double duty as it will have to do now. Hope this makes better sense. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-15-2004 at 7:57 PM.

Ok, here is the latest update. Was able to work 1/2 day yesterday because the plans to go look at the AC/Heat unit fell through. Got the bottom trim up (1 X 4 Hardiplank) and 1 sheet of sheathing cut and installed. Today I finished the sheathing, took a break for lunch and to go look at the AC/Heat unit. Ended up being a junk shop of old units. The one he wanted to sell me wasn't heating. It's and old Mongomery Ward unit. Needless to say, i wasn't impressed. He had another one working to show me, but the face didn't have any way to attach. I'm guessing there were parts missing. Anyway, a totally wasted 1.5 hour trip. Got back and got the Tyvek wrap on. Finished just as it was getting dark.
    The pictures are about the time I broke for lunch. It was too dark for pictures of the Tyvek installed. Maybe there will be a little light when I get off work on Tuesday to snap a couple shots. Picture 1 is from the southeast, picture 2 is from the east, and Picture 3 is from the north/northeast.
    Next I need to install the windows and door, then I can put my vertical trim on and start with the Hardiboard planks. Anyone ever use the 12" planks? Instructions say you can't blind nail these, that they need fasteners at the bottom as well. What if I used construction adhesive on the bottom?? I really didn't want screw or nail heads showing.

Well, got too busy during the week to do this. Put in 1 window late one afternoon, did the other one while breakfast was fixin' this morning. Same 3 views, Southeast, east, North-northeast. Instead of pulling down the wood siding on the north wall, I'll put house wrap over it, then 1" foam sheets, then the HardiePlank siding. I need the extra depth to come out to where the north wall is on the covered porch addition. Still won't be on the exact same plane, but when the covered porch was added on, they didn't line it up with the walls of the building. off about 1 1/2" !! Guess I shouldn't be surprised. The extra R value of the foam should help a little with insulation also.
    Won't get much done this weekend. Leaving here is a few to go Christmas shopping. I have decided to frame in a spot on the north wall for a PTAC type AC/Heat unit. They are bigger than the normal window/wall type unit (42 X 16- what is used for motel rooms) but they are also cheaper. I can get a new Carrier 15000 btu heat pump for $556.00 plus shipping on the net. Unclear if the mounting sleve is included in that price or not, but it appears to be. Plus all brands of PTAC's are the same size, and will fit any one else's sleeve. Thanks for looking! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-18-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Looking good, Jim! You'll enjoy the new space and its fun building too and seeing it come forward! Great pictures,,, Keep them coming!
    Jerry

Hey Jim...
    It's fun to watch...keep em comiing. Looks like someone has aready started an addition...albeit plastic.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    Hey Jim...
    It's fun to watch...keep em comiing. Looks like someone has aready started an addition...albeit plastic.
    You noticed! It's my first work in plastics!!!!!! Actually my wife got that at a garage sale about 3 years ago when we were expecting a litter of Irish Setters (didn't materialize-very long and expensive story). It was to be part of a puppy jungle jim, following the thought that new experiences as pups rolls over to not being afraid of new things as adult dogs, therefore, better adjusted dogs to have as pets. So it just hangs around. Being used in the pictures to keep the dogs out of the shop until I get the door up, which I just finished. Got to go get some 4" hinge screws to replace the 1" jobs that came on the door. Thanks guys for the comments. Please point out anything you see that is a definate booboo as I proceed. That's my motivation for doing the thread. Maybe someone will see something before I get so far past it that it will be a nightmare to go back and re-do.
    As I finished typing the above, thought I'd snap a quick picture of the door, and noticed I didn't take the temporary strapping off when I finished the door. So ignore it, it will be gone tonight!

Jim.

Well, you can see I did the picture quickly...slightly out of focus. But you can see what is necessary. It's not like you've never seen a door before.

It's been a while since I have updated this thread. Don't have much to add at this point. With Christmas and the snow the few days before Christmas, and the holiday again this weekend with my parents and neice and her husband down today, I missed a beautiful day to get some work done. After they left about 3:00, I spent some time cleaning all the leaves and debris off the roof, then got in about 1 1/2 hour in the shop. Pulled staples left over when the 1/4" paneling was pulled off the ceiling on the covered porch. Now my neck is aching!!
    As it was starting to get dark, I thought I'd pull off some of the siding on what was the exterior wall under the porch. Guess what I found?? About 10' of wall that has a 10" header. Therefore I won't have to build a temporary wall to support the structure while I add a header to span the french door I want to install to make access to the finishing room easier with big pieces!! Now, when I demo the walls by the garage door and if I find the header above the garage door is about 6" higher than the finished door opening, you'll hear me screaming for joy!
    I'm including an updated floor plan for the shop. I had one on another post a while back, but instead of pointing you toward that page, I'll put the updated one here. And this updated one will also be superceeded in the future, I'm sure. Thanks for looking, and please let me know if you see a design flaw!! Jim.

hardie plank 12"

Hi Jim, interesting to watch your progress. Yes I have installed hardie
    plank, and no I wouldn't glue the bottom. If the instructions say to nail
    the bottom, just follow the instructions, it will be ok. 8" you can blind
    nail, suppose the 12" is just too wide. Jim