Thread: Festool track for ripping sheets of plywood

Festool track for ripping sheets of plywood

Hi All,

I want to get a Festool track for ripping sheets of plywood. It looks like the FS 2700 (106 inches) would be long enough, but they also sell the FS 3000 (118 inches). Is the extra length necessary to accomodate the clamps to hold it down? Is there another reason to go with the longer unit?

The 3000 is more $$, but it is better to pay for it now rather than upgrading later.

Thanks,

oger

The 106" guide does a fine job on 8' sheets. That's what I use. Generally I don't use clamps. The friction on the bottom surface holds it in place. Festool does sell clamps specifically for the track. They slide in underneath, and require no added length of track.

The 2700 will work, but if you want to have ample room before and after the cut, then you are better off with the 3000. You will definitely need one 1400 and the parallel guides are easy to calibrate, easy to use, deadly accurate, and repeatable. As you can tell I am in love with them. That package will allow you to break down sheet goods real easily, Eric

I only use the clamps occasionally when either using a slippery material like Melamine or when I'm using a 55" rail to make a 12" crosscut or something like that where I don't have good contact. The rest of the time they just aren't needed.

I use 2 55" rails joined for ripping and haven't wished for more length.

Roger,

If you are using either the AFT 65 or the TS 75 then you need the longer rail.

Or if you plan on stacking multiple sheets (ie cutting 3 sheets of 3/4" at one time) then you'll need the longer rail.

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Definitely the 3000 rail
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    Definitely the 3000 rail
    Why do you say this, when others say the shorter on works? You must have some reason(s), so why not share them? "Definitely doesn't really say much.

If it's not much difference I'd also go with the longer rail. I use 2 - 55's and they work for a 96"+ sheet. You'll be four inches shorter so it may be a bit tight. Not saying it's not doable, just that the longer track will be a bit easier and besides a few extra bucks up front I don't see any disadvantage to going a bit longer.
    I also think the single length track is superior to using the 2 55's. You have to be cautious with the 2 track setup as any bumping will knock them out of alignment. I keep an 8' aluminum rectangular tube handy for checking the track every so often.
    good luck,
    JeffD

I actually use a Hilti 267e saw (great tool but has been discontinued). It fits the Festool rails (I have the 55" now), so I know it is compatible.

Since it isn't a plunge saw I could probably use the extra length before the cut.

Thanks to all for your responses. Festool's sale ends in a week so I need to get my order in.

Roger

What about storing the 118" rail, I have 2, 55" rails and that is inconvenient enough.

Roger,
    If you're on the fence (pun intended), get the 3000. I have the 2700 and, although, it works OK for an 8' sheet of plywood, the extra length of the 3000 would be handy. If you're comfortable with the 2700, I'll sell you mine at a discount and buy a 3000 for myself.

James

I have the 3000 rail for my TS75 to rip sheet goods with. The extra length makes it easier and safer to start the cuts. If the saw is notcompletely on the track and you start to slide it into the cut, the back guide can rotate and jam the saw on the track, making it impossible to continue the cut without readjusting it.

If you ever do have a project requiring a long cut, the 3000 is a great start on a long rail. I joined my 3000 wit two others to make joint ready 17-foot-long cuts on a bar top I built. Longer rails, fewer joints = straighter cut.

I have to 106" version and it does the job fine for me. The overhang on the "entry" side is the more critical, in my experience. I actually used my 106" track last week while putting in the sub-floor that will stablize a room in the 205 year old portion of our home and it was a pleasure to have in my tool box, if you know what I mean. I had one long rip to do for the last two sheets. (all other cuts were made with the shorter track)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was in the same situation over this past winter. I had been using two 55" which worked okay, but a pain to disconnect for the crosscuts. I chose the 3000 and am glad that I did. The extra length on entry and exit make for a safer set-up, in my opinion.
    John

Thanks - I ordered the 3000 last night. Since I don't use a Festool plunge saw (I have a Hilti) I figure the extra length will help getting the saw setup prior to the cut.

I'm running out of excuses not to finish the kitchen cabinets...