Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost parts in own shop...ARRGGGHHH

I once "lost" my framing square in the shop. Looked everywhere for it. One day I was uploading some pics from my camera to my PC and as I was going through them lo and behold I saw the square, hanging on the backside of a work bench. I went down to the shop and sure enough, there it was.

Mike

Has anyone seen my little bottle of "Star Tron" gasoline additive? I found it a day or so ago and made a mental note of where it was so I would pick it up later ... seems it has legs and is gone again!
    Leo

So that i don't lose anything in the shop, I employ what I call "Organized Chaos". There is a place for everything, and NOTHING in its' place. That way, I can't ever lose anything, cuz it's already lost!
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

Did you say, "... a pack of chain samples"?

I think I have them.

I use the excuse "I've had a nap since then" to cover all my forgotten tasks that SWMBO lays out for me and to explain the missing tools, hardware and other items that seem to move themselves around the shop, house and yard.

I have a policy that when I lose something and then find it, I throw it out. I shouldn't have had it in the first place because I'm not responsible enough to know where to put it so I can find it.

Seriously, I hate looking for stuff so when I can't find something I just clean up. I usually come across it.

Every new piece of material is logged, labeled, and carefully put away in the proper place. Never any problem finding it...and I'm going to start doing that next week...promise....this time I mean it

My sympathies for things lost in the shop! They will all turn up on the planet Uranus, when space travellers arrive there in the future. That is where all those missing Unisaw dust doors are!

My best advice for finding lost things? You will find it in the last place you look....SO look there first! ...hmmm
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post

At some point I put the chain samples and the turnbuckles in a safe place in my shop awaiting the next phase of the job. Gone. Gone. Gone. Am I the only one to which this sort of thing happens?
    In my experience a "safe place" is the very worst place I can put something that I will need to find in the future.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    One Friday evening last summer I left a local medical center and stopped by the most complete hardware store in the valley. I bought some special part I need for a project I was working on in my shop. My wife was in Illinois for 4 weeks visiting her Mom.

Our back door is located in our dining room. and exits onto the carport. It must be 50' from my shop to the backdoor.

I set the part on the dining room table so I would see as I left to go to the shop.

The next morning, I got to the shop and a few minutes later realized I needed the part I'd bought the previous evening.

6 times I left the shop...came to the house....and forgot what I'd come to the house for........6 times.

I proceeded to tear the house apart looking for what I couldn't remember. I checked my night stand.....my jewelry box .......my office.....my clutter catchers on the dresser.....finally as I headed back to the shop....I saw on the dining room table and remembered that's what I had come to the house to get.....
    Been there, done that Ken. I spent 45 minutes looking for a tape measure yesterday. When I found it, it was on my desk within 6 inches of the first place I looked.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I used my digital micrometer two weeks ago and now can't find it. I ALWAYS put it back in the same drawer and now it's not there. I've torn the shop apart looking for it. I've also lost the top of my workbench but I'm reasonably sure it's still there under all the clutter! In the past I've also "lost" a Bosch jigsaw and a PC circular saw but I suspect I wasted my time looking for them.

Regards,

Ron

I'm new here and I'd like to thank each and every poster to this thread for making me feel "normal" since all my days are spent living all or some portions of the mentioned situations.
    Thank you all
    Craig

I have found it is always in the last place you look. Now I just have to figure out how to make the last place the first place.

Do pencils count?
    DICK
    We can only be, what we give ourselves the power to be~ Cherokee Feast of Days

Smile Probably . . .

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I've lost an $800.00 Fein half sheet sander,brand new,in my shop. I hid it for some reason,and now can't find it!!!@!
    Probably because a neighbor or friend wanted to borrow a "SANDER".

Thats why I love Harbor Freight, they sell "loan" tools.

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .