Thread: What to do with this wood?

What to do with this wood?

I have these 3 large pieces of pine that were removed from my grandmother's house a few years ago. My dad kept them after some repair work was done, and I've since inherited them. Based on family history, I'd guess that they were cut 100-150 years ago, but I'm not sure. I'd love to salvage them somehow and preserve a little bit of history, and I'd appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

There is one long beam, about 14 feet long with about a 7 x 8 inch profile, and there are two piers, about 15+ inches long with an almost triangular profile about 20 inches high.

I'm not sure how much usable lumber I could get out of the beam, due to the small profile and external damage (the best two sides are showing in the photo, I'm afraid). The two piers are wide enough to have some really tight grain, but the short length will be a factor on those pieces. I've cut a sample from the end of the beam and found it to be really pitchy, almost like fat lighter, so sawing it is going to be a chore, I think.

One idea I've had is to cut the beam in half & quarter or halve the two lengths. If there's not too much waste, I might have enough to make a top for a workbench or table. I'm thinking I may want to minimize the amount of sawing that's required, since it's so gummy (true?).

Should I be looking for a local sawyer to do the resawing for me, or is there a relatively easy diy method I could try? I have a bandsaw, but it's way too small for this.

Would those piers make for good turning stock? I've never tried my hand at it, but this might be a good excuse to start :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a perfect cause for a pinewood bench! Resaw the beam into 2 or 3 pieces and use the piers as feet for the bench.

It would be a lot of work, but, you can even cut that by hand with an appropriate saw. I took a look from here (probably the neander section) on doing similar things using a saw (bow saw I think). I would probably score it first with a circular saw....

I also believe that I saw a thing with Chris Swartz sawing through one of these with a standard rip saw.

Ugggg. Does seem like a lot of work.