Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kickback, not the table saw

Kickback, not the table saw

My neighbor on a warm calm Saturday, tried to scare me while I was using my ten year old 5hp PM 66. He walked up from behind me, grabbed my shoulder to ask what I was doing. Am I the only one with a dangerous neighbor or has this happened to anyone else?

No. If I am doing something that demands my complete attention, I actually lock the door to the shop to prevent that from happening. It's dangerous.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I should have closed my garage door, like I do now, lesson learned.

Your neighbor is an idiot. But I suspect everyone already knew that.

The real question is what did you say to him after he did that?

I held my cool, told him that was stupid. He should know better, he's a press operator where he works.

My neighbor used to have a yellow lab that liked to visit whenever they were out for a walk. He brought the dog into the garage one day while I was cutting with my back to the door. The dog came up and goosed me with his nose in the middle of the cut....it surprised me but I managed to stay focused on the cut. Afterward I explained how dangerous that can be and why, and asked that in the future they wait the 20 or 30 seconds until I completed the task...he got that "aha" look on his face and has honored the request ever since. My wife and kids have the same understanding.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by John Fabre View Post
    My neighbor on a warm calm Saturday, tried to scare me while I was using my ten year old 5hp PM 66. He walked up from behind me, grabbed my shoulder to ask what I was doing. Am I the only one with a dangerous neighbor or has this happened to anyone else? I held my cool, told him that was stupid. He should know better, he's a press operator where he works.
    Really? He's a press operator and thought that would be funny or at least appropriate? The shutting the door idea sounds fine on the surface, and it is probably the safest idea, but why do YOU have to change the way you're working, when it's your neighbor who's the idiot. That kind of galls me because really it's not just you. It's all of us, when some one else is stupid, too often the solution is for everyone else to adjust to them, rather than having them, (the stupid one), adjust and come in line with whats proper, or acceptable, or safe.

It's one thing when we're dealing with children who need to learn, and an entirely different matter when dealing with adults who, 1) ought to know better, & 2) when they do something stupid, (which IS the human condition), should apologize and knock it off, FOREVER. Acknowledging their error and owning it, instead of shouldering others with the responsibility of figuring out how to prevent the offender from striking again.

But hey, that's just me
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

Blog Entries
    LOML's daughter had to be cured of the habit of pulling into the driveway and honking the horn to let me know she had arrived. It took 2 or 3 explanations that I do not like being startled while holding my body anywhere near sharp spinning things but, she got it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a neighbor who did something like that once, and only once. He was ignorant, but not stupid, so once I explained the problem he stayed out until he heard the tools were shut down.

Then he died in a car crash last year.

At the shop I work for we have 2 table saws that are somewhat in line they are about 16 feet apart. One day I was cutting on one and another worker was just getting ready to cut on the other and an idiot walked up behind the other guy and screamed. I was abouit half way though a cut and I jumped I shut the saw off and walked over to the screamer and chewed his ass off. He couldn't understand why I was so mad at him he said that the guy he tried to scare didn't even have the saw on. I told him I almost lost my fingers in the other saw and if he ever did that again I would take a 2 X 4 and hit him in the head. He no longer works for us.

Angry kickback, not the tablesaw

I see that I'm not the only one with this problem ! My wife does this sometimes (1) like honking the horn on her car when leaving or coming home
    if I'm in the shop working, or (2) not paying attention to what I'm doing
    when she approaches the shop from the outside.

I have told her repeatedly time and again "don't ever, just walk up on me
    unannounced, if I'm using one of my machines, you might do something
    to cause me to jerk, cutting my hand or get hurt worse." But , the sad irony is she doesn't remember that for very long...and will do it again without thinking.I usually get mad and give a very strong verbal warning AGAIN!
    I have told her...." if you see me working or hear one of the machines running, STOP! don't say or do anything until the machine STOPS!" Then you announce yourself and tell me what you want!

When I had kids at home, we settled on what the oldest child was taught in shop class.

When the teacher wished to have every one's attention, she would flick the lighting on/off/on once rapidly.

So that's what we do, the light switch for the shop is at the entrance, and we flick the switch once to announce that we're entering the shop, or need the attention of the person in the shop.

Regards, Rod.

Hmmmm

>>My neighbor...walked up from behind me, grabbed my shoulder to ask what I was doing.<<

What was his reaction when he regained consciousness?

That's so wildly ignorant with huge potential negative consequences to you - and he should absolutely already know that - at minimum I would have encouraged him to never set foot on my property again.

What an incredibly thoughtless and stupid thing for him to have done. Glad you're OK!

you all have probably noticed that ignorance can usually be fixed whereas stupidity is 100% unfixable

you all have also probably noticed that stupid people are DANGEROUS no matter where they are

moral of this is ...............try to avoid being around stupid people