Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kickback, not the table saw

After that, he walked away, some people just don’t think. Were hoping he moves.

I always lock the shop door when I go in to do anything, even if it is not wood cutting related, just to maintain/reinforce the habit.

The wife knows to come to the door, if she hears any noise from power tools, she doesn't come in. If she doesnt' hear anything other than the radio, the she quitely comes in and see what I am doing, before saying or distracting me.

The problem with just coming when You don't hear any power tools going, is that I could just be in the process of turning one on or in the middle of changing a blade/bit and slip.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    I always lock the shop door when I go in to do anything, even if it is not wood cutting related, just to maintain/reinforce the habit.

The wife knows to come to the door, if she hears any noise from power tools, she doesn't come in. If she doesnt' hear anything other than the radio, the she quitely comes in and see what I am doing, before saying or distracting me.

The problem with just coming when You don't hear any power tools going, is that I could just be in the process of turning one on or in the middle of changing a blade/bit and slip.

Rob
    Even my young kids know better not to walk in and start talking.

If ignorance can be taught, all is well! Otherwise, the loss of a thoughtless neighbor's friendship is WORTH saving all your fingers.

In the case of a thoughtless family member--just tell LOML that you will be forced to buy that brand new $3000 SAFE tablesaw if they persist! That'll bring surprise shop visits to a halt!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    When I had kids at home, we settled on what the oldest child was taught in shop class.

When the teacher wished to have every one's attention, she would flick the lighting on/off/on once rapidly.

So that's what we do, the light switch for the shop is at the entrance, and we flick the switch once to announce that we're entering the shop, or need the attention of the person in the shop.

Regards, Rod.
    My wife and kids are trained to do the same thing. And then stand by the door until I acknowledge their presence. I am always wearing hearing protection in the shop, along with the dust collector running, so flicking the lights on and off is really the only way to get my attention when a machine is running.

My lights are on two separate circuits/switches. So the only need to turn one off and I notice is right away, but am not in the dark.
    Wood'N'Scout

My wife pulled up in the driveway and honked at me once. Just once. I pointed out how dangerous that was, and she quickly realized the truth of that.

Of course you're all correct in your solutions to the problem, but you can add another layer of protection--don't be jumpy.

As a painter, believe it or not, I have to deal with this from time to time. When I'm 20' off the ground on a ladder, I can't react wildly to a wasp/hornet/yellowjacket sting, no matter how much it startles me (or hurts). I've even had the presence of mind to not curse a blue streak once because there were a bunch of young children within earshot. I also try to be aware of my surroundings all the time--I'll lock a door before I paint above it on a ladder, I look around before I start something, and yes, I'm the type of guy who likes to sit with his back in a corner of the restaurant.

The bottom line is that no matter what you're doing, you should have a "plan of escape" for WHEN something goes wrong (are you forcing a board towards the blade--where will your hands go if the board suddenly slips out and is not there?)
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    A lot of great responses and it seems everyone had the same initial thought I did - WOW! WHAT AN IDIOT! Too bad there is not an emoticon for speechlessness.

You have to go though the house to get to the shop so if anyone comes to the house to see me they have to go though the wife first.

The rule is if they hear any noise then wait until it stops and then knock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Too bad there is not an emoticon for speechlessness.
    We need one of these.Speak-no-evil.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've never had that happen and hardly expect to.

I live at the top of a steep hill. My woodworking neighbors are either too old, too fat or too lazy to walk up my drive. (They don't visit me, I visit them.) If they were to drive up, though, I would see them coming, since I orient my power tools toward the view.

I certainly agree, though -- I wouldn't be so very happy if it did happen!

A co-worker in the shop where I'm employed seems to think it's hilarious to see me jump when he scares me while I'm using power tools. He's not one of the cabinetmakers so mybe he doesn't understand. Maybe he's an idiot too. The other cabinetmaker and I can't seem to make him understand how dangerous this is. I think he's a member of a secret society of morons that hate skilled woodworkers. Their goal is world domination by making woodworkers digitally impaired.

I'm like Loren, I orient the tools so I can see people approaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffner View Post
    I have told her repeatedly time and again "don't ever, just walk up on me
    unannounced, if I'm using one of my machines, you might do something
    to cause me to jerk, cutting my hand or get hurt worse." But , the sad irony is she doesn't remember that for very long...and will do it again without thinking.I usually get mad and give a very strong verbal warning AGAIN!
    I have told her...." if you see me working or hear one of the machines running, STOP! don't say or do anything until the machine STOPS!" Then you announce yourself and tell me what you want!
    Take Jeromes' 2x4 and hit her in the head with it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

When someone activates the garage door opener it makes me jump, especially if I'm concentrating on something. Having few power tools is an advantage some times.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate