Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit cooling options

Blog Entries

Bit cooling options

I've been looking at various cooling methods that would allow me to work with metal on my incoming Stinger. The two main categories are cold air guns and coolant systems. For the time being, cold air guns are too expensive due to their high CFM requirements (the gun itself is pretty cheap, but a compressor meeting the required specs is in the $3.5-4k range).

Flood coolant is out as I don't want to mess with buckets of this stuff or try to keep it contained and away from moisture-sensitive stuff. Misters/atomizers are pretty common, but they are fiddly to set up if you want to prevent leaving a fog in your workshop during extended use (and breathing that stuff in mist form isn't exactly healthy). This leaves micro-dispensing systems.

The two main systems I have come across are the FogBuster and the Trico 1200. The basic FB system is a bit over $300, and the Trico starts at $400+.

Anyone have an opinion on why I shouldn't choose the cheaper FB system over the Trico? Am I missing some nice functionality or quality with the Trico not found on the FB?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

i put a mister on the x3 this week, got parts from grainger, less than 50.00 all told works great pics later i will be posting the install

$100 for the spray mist system from MSC.

Not sure what you'll do for hold downs, if you're using a vacuum table made from Trupan, you don't want it wet or misted at all.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

I called Joey late last week and paid for a few extras on my Stinger before it shipped... the T-slot table was one of those upgrades. I don't know how everything is going to go together until I get the machine, but so far I've ordered the entire batch of precision collets from PreciseBit, the laser centering tool, and I'm eyeing a Penn State DC2000B with a HEPA filter from Wynn to replace my current Horror Freight noisemaker. I have a starter collection of bits from the drawing, and a test project all picked out that mixes metal and wood.

Is the Wesco unit from MSC a mister/atomizer or is it more of a micro-drop system like the FogBuster or Trico units? I was going to pick up a gallon jug of the Accu-lube LB-1100 water-based lubricant to go with it.

Do these devices work with Stinger MDF (even though they are sealed MDF) tables?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Question for Joey - like Mike asked - are the slots that you cut for the T-Slots sealed well enough to not be affected by misted coolants?

Thanks,

Dennis
    O'Brien Truckers Automotive Aluminum Sand Castings
    Stinger SN 001
    Corel X5, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D

Dan, I've not seen the "fog buster" but I've used the trico systems as well as the spray mist systems. I don't recall any real different in the Trico verses Spray Mist, let's keep it simple here, it takes coolant and mixes it with air and puts out a mist. Not rocket science. You can certainly pay for the higher end units but their output won't do anything different, it's still a spray mist of coolant.

I paid $100 for mine and thought that wasn't cheap. I know I wouldn't pay $250 or more for one.

The coolants used in there will not rust machines, so you're safe in using them.

Actually, I got mine from Travers Tool, not MSC because MSC had the products but had crappy photos and it was confusing. Travers had better photos so it was easier to order from them.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

I ask because I absolutely do not want a fogger-type mister... the atomized coolant can all-too-easily end up in my lungs, and I don't need to fight with that beast. The FogBuster/Trico systems spit small drops rather than a fine mist... it accomplishes the same thing, but the drops quickly fall to the substrate/bit, not float in the air for long periods of time.

looks like trico to me

although i got it at grainger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Travers had the Kool Mist PortaMist kit on sale for $110 (down from $130). It includes a gallon of their #78 coolant and a sample of their #77 coolant. Considering I was going to spend $100 on a gallon of the Accu-lube coolant from MSC, I decided this was a good test.
    http://www.travers.com/product.asp?R...807-85-500-005
    Unfortunately, they seem to have charged me nearly 9% sales tax, so I have an email in to them asking WTH...

Why wouldn't you get enough cooling just blowing shop air?

If I was going to use a coolant or mist system I would probably consider placing a temporary spoil board made from color core or some other type of plastic on top of my mdf spoilboard......but I don't use a vacumn table.

Same setup I have Dan.

Blog Entries
    Keith,

I'm trying to avoid having my run-of-the-mill Craftsman piston compressor running all day. For one, it's not rated for continuous duty, and two, it's loud as sin.

edit: Just talked to a friend running a Trico micro-drop on a Shopbot. Says running the vegetable oil on an MDF table (with vacuum system) is no problem at all, and that there's only a barely perceptable film of oil on the parts.

You *will* have a cloud of fog from that, as well as a nice puddle of oily water all over the machine. My experience with them is that you'll be constantly fiddling with it, cranking the air up when you turn it on to get the siphon started, and adjusting during the cut to keep it running as little bits of dirt in the fluid plug up the needle valve.

Better, are the higher end units that have a pressurized reservoir. They allow you to turn the air flow way down and still get a flow of coolant.

A micro-drop system is probably a better bet. No water involved, and you can opt for a vegetable based oil if you prefer it. I haven't used one personally so I can't say how they compare in terms of fog, but I've been told they're far superior in that regard. I've also seen the results on the machine (Bridgeport), which carries a very light film of oil that preserves the metal, rather than having the T-slots and vise filled with water. Which is why I bought one of the Tricos for mine. Just haven't installed it yet.

As for straight air on aluminum, you can get away with it on very light cuts ... sometimes. Aluminum is pretty sticky and tends to build up on a cutter unless there's some sort of lubricant interface. Might be running along just fine until you turn your back for a minute ...
    Last edited by Wes Grass; 07-16-2010 at 4:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wes,

I intend to keep my reservoir small and above the combiner... that should prevent the need for a high air flow. Keeping the air flow low should also allow me to "spit" the lubricant like a micro-drop system rather than atomizing it. The whole idea of these systems is to have, at worst, a light film of lubricant on the piece when you're done, not a puddle.