Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many tool junkies are out there?

How many tool junkies are out there?

I'm not alone, who else buys tools and just looks at them? Don't get me wrong, I do use some of them. Give examples of the tools you don't use that's just sitting around.

I was just going through stuff this evening trying to make more room. The rusty auger bits I collected 30 years ago had to go. Tools I buy in boxes at auction often come with other tools that I can't see throwing away (but I'm trying). How many wrenches does one need? I've got one set I got this way that has fractions with 32 and 64 on the bottom that I've never heard of. : ) I can't seem to throw away old screwdrivers that still work--maybe it's the patina in the wooden handles... Especially, I couldn't throw away 3 old beer bottle openers--I decided that they belonged with the (guys) tools, at least for the time being. Besides being the current owner, who am I to break up the set. And I haven't touched on tools which were my dad's.

Bill

Oh my. I would never throw out a rusty auger bit. They go into my "Rusty Auger Bit" box.

Oh no. "The Rusty Auger Bit" box is full. It gets migrated to the "Rusty Auger Bit" shelf and a new "Rusty Auger Bit" box is started.

As you would think if the "Rusty Auger Bit" Self is full we move its contents to the "Rusty Auger Bit" section in the barn and the process starts all over again.

This is the Tool Junkies Circle of Life.

I was up in the loft of my barn the other day and and found my missing Milwaukee electrician drill. It had been missing for over a year. You will never guess where it was.

Next to all the boxes of "Rusty Auger Bits". Personaly I think it made its way there on its own, cause I dont remember placing it there.
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 07-17-2010 at 4:23 AM.

LOL... I bought a DW biscuit joiner that I thought I'd use, mostly it sat... now I've misplaced or lost it.

I bought a 20" planer and 5HP Oneida pro2000 DC last month that I haven't used yet, but will soon--I need to re-do my shop layout to install the DC and the planer. My wife tells thinks I'm just looking at them though...
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I have over 75 screwdrivers. Just can't bear to throw out a screwdriver.

Over 50 hammers. Same thing.

Then there's the $250 digital manometer I bought to measure & optimize airflow in my DC ductwork attached to my Grizzly cyclone. I think I used it twice, DC pulls so much air it doesn't matter.

Lie Nielson scrub plane. It's not my only tool junkie purchase to be sure, but it is perhaps the most concrete example of buying something just to look at. It sits on a shelf amongst other hand tools in a revered spot in a QSWO box I made for it. Once in a while I. Open the box, I"ve even picked it up once or twice and held it as if to use it, but at this point I"ve pretty much resigned my self to the fact that I"m not a guy that flattens wood by hand and probably never will be. But I am a guy that loves the look and feel of that LN plane. I may even have envisioned using it at some point, possibly a mental justification for is purchase, but I have moved past that crazy notion now and live comfortably with the fact that I just like having it. It will make an interesting item on a table at my estate sale some day!

You're kidding, right?

ALL OF US!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter Mark View Post
    You're kidding, right?

ALL OF US!!
    This is exactly what I thought when I saw this thread!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post
    Oh my. I would never throw out a rusty auger bit. They go into my "Rusty Auger Bit" box.

Oh no. "The Rusty Auger Bit" box is full. It gets migrated to the "Rusty Auger Bit" shelf and a new "Rusty Auger Bit" box is started.

As you would think if the "Rusty Auger Bit" Self is full we move its contents to the "Rusty Auger Bit" section in the barn and the process starts all over again.
    Funny you should say this. I am in the middle of building a "Rusty Auger Bit" shed.

Actually...it is the second one. Our first one is full.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Well, if there has to be a reason for building a bigger shop, this would certainly qualify for that!!
    I have a Delta lunchbox planer that after 4 years, I finally got the box out of the storage room in the house and to the shop. 6 months after that, I built a mobile cart for it to reside on, and work in my multifunction wall. It will be 6 years next month, and it's never been turned on. That will finally change, maybe this weekend, as I have a piece of QS White Oak that needs to be planed down. My luck, it won't work. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

but this does not mean that we're collectors!

OKay, me, too!

How many 1/2 chisels does one really need? Or marking gauges, or hand saws, back saws, hand planes, etc.?

Collectors-no, I am not; rather, I'm a conservationist, preserving these fine old tools so that later generations can ponder these "whatzizits" in the future.

Sounds like we're doing a mighty fine job of conserving and preserving!!!!

Now where did I put that 8th 1/4 handdrill.....

I've heard it said that admission is the first step to rehabilitation. No way!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hello. My name is Bill W. and I'm an addict (tool that is).
    Now hammers-that's a little wierd, 75 screw drivers-Hmmmmm I'm seein' a pattern, 9 different band saw blades when ya only use 3, piles of wood?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I have a clamp obsession - all four walls and a JLT 8' rack - with flatner. I will head up the midwest chapter. LOL.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    im very guilty of buying stuff and then just looking at it.
    im the procrastinator from hell and i will buy something, even if i need it bad and i will
    just leave it sit for awhile, search around for a better deal and take it back if i find one.
    or i buy something 'in case' i might need it, such as my Dewalt DW331 jigsaw that has
    been sitting in its case for the past 6 months or so and never touched. also have a
    Milwaukee 1/4 sheet palm sander thats new, i use my Milwaukee orbital for everything.
    also have a new Jet DC thats never been used, mostly cause i was going to duct the
    shop but since its so small i might just get a twenty foot hose and move it to each
    machine.

and now for the really bad part, a lot of time i usually buy two of something just in case
    something happens i will have a spare on hand, but thats mostly with small stuff and
    not tools or it would get very spendy and also run out of room fast!