Thread: Workshop tunes

Workshop tunes

Not sure if this is correct forum to post but I'll ask. Does anyone listen too music through cordless headphones or ipod? Will electric power tools interfere with signal of cordless headphones? Will ipod stand up to the dust? Looking for options as my music is a little loud,sometimes wife can hear in the house,and the garage is detached. I won't be turning down the volume as I get into a zone with the wood and the music.

Thanks Tom

I use wireless RF headphones from Radio Shack in my shop all the time. I have not noticed any interference from any tools.

have an iPod I use in the shop from time-to-time. They are sealed up pretty tight, so I don't expect any problems.

There is a little gadget you can get which is intended for in-car-use. It is a small FM transmitter which plugs directly into the iPod. Basically it transmits the iPod music into the FM band so that you can tune it on the car radio, like any other FM channel. I have a radio supported ear muff protector that I use in the shop. I intend to try this out in my shop one of these days, but I am not sure how good the range will be. Although I am sure the FCC would frown on me, it should be easy enough to slightly boost the power of this and get full shop support for my iTunes music on an FM band through my ear protection.

-Jim.

I use an IPod in the shop...in the garden...mowing the lawn...in the office...in the car...just about everwhere. They are very tough...take if from me. Dropped it on the basement floor yesterday.

I have the FM adapter (if you aren't traveling far it's cool...the cassette adapter (most solid way to keep music going in the car)...the Bose SoundDock (AWESOME). In the shop I usually use good ear plugs which keeps noise out while keeping the CD quality music in. I just carry it in my pocket.

If it sound like I like this little jewel...I've succeeded. I think it's simply the best investment I made sine the basement beer frig.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

markus shaffer Guest
    Thomas,

I use an ipod in my shop every day. I have a cassette adapter for the stereo and it works fine. For hearing protection, I've always used earmuffs but recently I started using small earbuds underneath the earmuffs when I am running machines for extended periods of time, ie. sanding or running alot of boards through the planer.. You can see the earbuds I have at the following link..

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...opia.%2FEarbud

I just carry the ipod in my pocket and run the cord through my shirt so it doesn't get caught on anything. With these particular earbuds and my earmuffs, I can hardly hear anything.. This doesn't mean that I am listening to music super loud.. These earbuds fit pretty well into your ear and cancel out other noises amazingly well even at low volume..

-Markus

iPod and the Bose series headset, are a tough combo to beat. I still don't feel to comfortable wearing them while using the TS or the routers, but they can make planing and jointing a heck of a lot more tolerable, not to mention sanding.