Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flush saw questions?

Wow, a simple question generates lots of great responses.

First thanks to all of your inputs.

Here are some choices. Remember "FREEDOM" is the ability to choose.

Saws-----

Bridge City ------$ 69.00
    Vertas------------$ 20.00
    Lee Valley--------$ 25.00
    Stanley shark----$ 15 to 20

Use a router

Block plane-------$ 110.

As to saws ----I sure most people can appreciate BC tools. However 3 times the price seems a tad high if you only want to trim a dowel. If it does it better quicker maybe.

I have a Micro-Fence 3 Axis Mill, and every time I use it, I marvel at the workmanship and genius of the design.

Perhaps one can feel that way from the Bridge city saw. Right now, I having a hard time justifying the cost.

A lot of people complain about the saw blade getting jammed in the kerf.

I see lots of recommendations for plastic cards, thin metal shields, when using a saw. Some people recommended using a Dozuki saw and use a plastic card --because this saw will not bind.

Another person recommended a block plane----"very interesting".

So many choices.

Again thanks for your great inputs.

Herb

One interesting comment-----a number of chats on the internet say---hit the no set tooth blade and you just ruined a saw. Cannot be fixed.

Heard back from saw manufacturers about using a Dozuki and a plastic card.

The answer was DO NOT GET A DOZUKI . Get a cut off flush saw just for cutting dowels and wedges.

I was hoping that I could bypass the frustration of the saw getting caught/stuck in the wood.

I let you know which cut off saw.

Thanks again,

Herb

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post

Japan Woodworker and Lee Valley sell this saw. It's fantastic for flush cutting and won't break the bank.
    I second this recommendation but would suggest that it be used in the other direction. One side of this saw has no set (as a flush-cut saw should have) and if you flip this saw over, the no set side is down, as it should be.

Cheers --- Larry