Thread: Grizzly G0440 question

Grizzly G0440 question

Good morning all-
    I'm sure some of you out there have this cyclone. Anyone have experience with the optional stand? Will it cut down significantly on noise going into other parts of the house vs. the wall mount? I don't REALLY have room for the stand (I think it adds a good deal to the footprint), but if the difference in noise were to be substantial, I could possibly rationalize the purchase!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Blog Entries
    I have that machine. Skipped the stand due to the footprint (it really could be smaller don't ya think?). I mounted to an outside wall with the inlet and outlet on the same side to further reduce the footprint. Getting the muffler on is quite a struggle and I found very little benefit with it; I would skip this also. I recall others having posted that the muffler helped their situation so the value may involve certain aspects of the sound as well as the volume. It does not seem to hurt airflow at all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the stand. Space wasn't an issue for me, as I have the 440 in the attic of my shop. I can't really tell you if using the stand would be quiter than a wall mount, but assuming your walls are sturdy, I doubt it would make much difference. For what it's worth, I can tell you that the stand is rock solid.

As to the muffler, since my cyclone isn't in the room where I'm working, I don't have need for one, but most who do have them seem to feel they don't help that much. However, it was either on this forum or another recently that a woodworker with some acoustical engineering expertise did sound level measurements and found that the muffler actually made more of a difference than most folks perceive. Wish I had a link to the thread.