Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal style entry table

Federal style entry table

Hi all,

Here's a Federal style entry table I completed recently. It's made from jatoba with curly maple for the secondary wood. The stringing is shop-made from holly and dyed anigre veneers, and the banding is from Rockler. The finish is tung oil and wiping varnish.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to this forum - it's a huge source of inspiration!

Regards,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful work Stephen.
    Your attention to detail is obvious in this piece.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Absolutely gorgeous!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Table

Now I have something else to aspire to do. Excellent work.

Beautiful job on the table Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ash View Post
    Hi all,

Here's a Federal style entry table I completed recently. It's made from jatoba with curly maple for the secondary wood. The stringing is shop-made from holly and dyed anigre veneers, and the banding is from Rockler. The finish is tung oil and wiping varnish.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to this forum - it's a huge source of inspiration!

Regards,
    Steve
    Wow! That's neat - I particularly like the "boxed" corners on the top. They remind me of a "Federalized" version of a porringer-top table from the connecticut river valley. I've just been re-reading Jeffrey Greene's "American Furniture of the 18th Century", and he's got just about every Federal-style top surface for pier and card tables illustrated, but I think yours is unique. It's tough to come up with an original design that works in this genre (heck, in any genre).

Nice job!

That is beautiful. I love how as you look at it more and more little details keep coming out.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks to all for the nice comments, and David, thank you for mentioning the book by Jeffrey Greene - that looks like a great reference. I didn't pattern this design after any specific piece, rather I just incorporated various elements that appealed to me, and then embellished the top to some degree. I do wish I had adhered a bit more strictly to proper period materials and finishing schedule, but I had to use up this jatoba, and there's always the next project...

Best regards,
    Steve

Stephen, really some beautiful work here! The grain match on the top is superb - and, I am still not sure there is a glue joint!! Looks like maybe only two pieces.

Great details - little things that make a real difference. Just some excellent work.

Beautiful table!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Stephen, really some beautiful work here! The grain match on the top is superb - and, I am still not sure there is a glue joint!! Looks like maybe only two pieces.

Great details - little things that make a real difference. Just some excellent work.
    John, thanks for the nice comment. There are actually three glue lines there. It's made from two boards, resawn from the same 8/4 stock, and while the original glue joint was very hard to see, unfortunately the boards continued to move and I ultimately had to reflatten the top by cutting it into thirds. It was upsetting to have to do that, but I think it survived the ordeal pretty well.

Btw, love your new avatar pic - I thought you looked familiar!

Thanks again,
    Steve

Thankfully, I've never let my wife see this site. I can hear it now... "Why don't you ever make something like that?" ARGH!

Great work... though I must admit I am equally inspired and envious!!! The banding is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Ash View Post
    Thanks to all for the nice comments, and David, thank you for mentioning the book by Jeffrey Greene - that looks like a great reference. I didn't pattern this design after any specific piece, rather I just incorporated various elements that appealed to me, and then embellished the top to some degree. I do wish I had adhered a bit more strictly to proper period materials and finishing schedule, but I had to use up this jatoba, and there's always the next project...

Best regards,
    Steve
    Steve - If you're interested in "period" style American furniture, Jeffrey Greene's book is the best money you'll ever spend on a subject-specific book. By its very nature, it's not possible to write a comprehensive tome on colonial/federal American furniture, but Jeffrey's book addresss all of the important subjects - from finishing to regional construction practices to major style changes. If you want a signed copy, you can get one from his business - the Ball & Claw (http://www.theballandclaw.com/books.htm)

Getting it from taunton (unsigned) is a bit cheaper, but this is one book that I don't regret spending the $ on.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    Steve - If you're interested in "period" style American furniture, Jeffrey Greene's book is the best money you'll ever spend on a subject-specific book. By its very nature, it's not possible to write a comprehensive tome on colonial/federal American furniture, but Jeffrey's book addresss all of the important subjects - from finishing to regional construction practices to major style changes. If you want a signed copy, you can get one from his business - the Ball & Claw (http://www.theballandclaw.com/books.htm)

Getting it from taunton (unsigned) is a bit cheaper, but this is one book that I don't regret spending the $ on.
    David, thanks for the link - I've already placed an order for the book by Jeffrey Greene, and it looks like there's a lot of other great reading there as well...

Regards,
    Steve