Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oneway lathe 1224 deal?

Oneway lathe 1224 deal?

guy near me is selling a oneway 1224 for $1000.
    anyone know if this is a good deal?
    i might not need it for long...wondering if i can recoup my money when i'm done...or even turn a profit?

any advice? thanks,
    andy

Well, since a new one is about 2500, it may be a decent deal on that model, depending on condition. But considering that there are so many good lathes in that range for 1/3 to 1/2 the price new, I sure wouldn't buy it ... especially if I wasn't planning to keep it long.

The only Oneway I've ever seen was the 2436, and man that was a lathe to die for! What a machine!

I tend to agree, though, the smaller ones are not that different from many others out there that can be had for less money. I'd love to have one -- I've had an old Craftsman for many years and it's a decent little lathe -- but not sure I'd pay a grand for one in this market...

Andy, depending on the condition, I would jump all over it. I have the 1224 and I love it. I actually use it more than I use my 2436. It is the Mercedes of small lathes. If it was close to me, I would race you for it.

I think that the 1224 is a LOT different (i.e. better) than lower priced but similar sized models in other brands....hence the price difference. An excellent price and you can very easily sell it for what you paid if you decide you want something larger down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Well, since a new one is about 2500, it may be a decent deal on that model, depending on condition. But considering that there are so many good lathes in that range for 1/3 to 1/2 the price new, I sure wouldn't buy it ... especially if I wasn't planning to keep it long.
    Ryan,

If this lathe is selling for $1000, are you saying that there are machines that are qualitatively equivalent selling for 1/3 - 1/2 of that? Please share.

FWIW, I would always consider used high quality equipment vs brand new only ok quality.

I'd be all over that like white on rice!!! Hey if you need a bigger one later, you should definitely be able to get your money back out of it! Just my $.02! Having been looking at lathes for a long time, I would be all over that deal without a second thought. Yeah it would be better if it was the bigger one, but a deal is a deal... and that is nearly a steal!

For another $305 you could add a 24” bed extension making it a top of the line 12”X48”.
    Seems like a no brainer to me and I’m not a spinney guy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Seems like a no brainer - espcially compared to what this joker wants for his Jet:
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/1849371873.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Seems like a no brainer - espcially compared to what this joker wants for his Jet:
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/1849371873.html

Maybe he's selling a jet airplane and got his pictures mixed up.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I just went to Woodcrafters in Portland, Ore. this weekend and played a little witha new one. GRAB IT AND RUN!!! What a piece of machinery!

I've had lots of lathes. Some crappy, some mediocre, some good. My present one is a large Oneway and I love it. I can tell you that the Oneway 1224 is like the difference between a small Mercedes or a large one. I love to use quality equipment and you will too. Also, Oneway's service is top notch.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 07-19-2010 at 5:33 PM.

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.
    I have had a 1224 now for about 5 or 6 years and love it! I don't care what anyone says about it being a "Mini" lathe - this lathe is in no shape or form a mini lathe. I looked at many other brands and came back and paid the premium price for this one because of it's quality. As far as I'm concerned Oneway is the Cadilac.
    I'm just thankful it held.

If you don't get it, call me! It'd be worth the trip to have it... need to get in a little sight-seeing, anyway!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

[QUOTE=Jack Tyree;1471001]I have had a 1224 now for about 5 or 6 years and love it! I don't care what anyone says about it being a "Mini" lathe -
    this lathe is in no shape or form a mini lathe. I looked at many other brands and came back and paid the premium price for this one because of it's quality.
    As far as I'm concerned Oneway is the Cadilac.
    Cadillac, be damned, this is the Jaguar!!
    Does this look like a mini-lathe?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!