Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porter Cable DP at Lowes. Yuck

Here is a picture of the stop assembly

I just snugged up the allen head machine screws and the cast iron stop assembly was rock solid. I guess if you stood on the quill you could get it to move but that's true for just about any type of connection short of welded. It really is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    I just snugged up the allen head machine screws and the cast iron stop assembly was rock solid. I guess if you stood on the quill you could get it to move but that's true for just about any type of connection short of welded. It really is a non issue.
    I by no means had to stand on the quill to get movement.

I struggled with passing-up on this model when recently shopping for a new press.

I liked it in every other regard.

Other presses tend to cast this directly into the head, or use a bracket that is an "L" and where the screws are in-line with the threaded rod (so no leverage that can move things out of whack).

I think it would have worked better if they had used flat-head screws. They're much less susceptible to allowing parts to wiggle.

When I looked at the photo of the drill press I wondered if the mating surfaces are machined or just cast. Perhaps there is something rough or even a foreign substance between the parts. I find it hard to believe that the socket head screws wouldn't hold the parts tight enough for any reasonable pressure on the drill press.