Thread: Anchorseal?

Anchorseal?

Can anyone tell me if Anchorseal can be sprayed? If it's the same stuff that's on the end of some lumber that is different colors, like blue, black and green, it looks like it's a liquidfied wax, and could be sprayable.... help please!!!!........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry,

It's my understanding the pros often spray it with a pressure sprayer like you use for spraying weeds. I wish I could remember the formal name for them. I have two. I mix Roundup in one for killing weeds. I mix other weed killer that won't kill grass in the other sprayer. I pump it up and spray.

UCCoating website says it can be sprayed. Here's a link:

http://www.uccoatings.com/files/Atta...%20English.pdf
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-19-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes. Some lumber mills put it in the "pump and spray" applicators and I've seen some turners spray it with a HVLP gun (Trent Bosch does it on his Bowl DVD, I think). It's water based, so if it needs to be thinned-that's easy. Most often though I haven't heard of it being thinned.

Thanks for the answers..
    Ken, I think that's a lawn and garden sprayer you're thinking of... I have one, plus a 3 gallon pressure pot for spray painting.... Now, I just need to find Anchorseal here in Tucson... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry,

I don't know what the cost is but I ordered a 5 gallon bucket direct from UCCoatings. They ship it by truck. I split it with another turner in the area. It was much cheaper than buying by the gallon at WoodCraft or other similar places.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-19-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I just ordered 5 gal from UC Coatings myself... was $72 shipped. I think it's a bit more if shipped farther West. Worth looking at their web page IMO. They do sell in smaller containers as well...

Jerry, I keep a coffee can and paintbrush for Anchorseal. When I am going to do a few blanks, I pour an amount in the coffee can, let it sit a few minutes, and swish the brush around. It re-dissolves the setup sealer on the brush, and I can then do the blanks. I just pour the unused portion back in the jug, leave the brush in the coffee can and set the jug and coffeecan under my bench.

Keeps me from having a cleanup each time, and works great. I would think that unless you kept the sprayer going, it would clog quickly. I know the brush sets up pretty good during sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    Thanks for the answers..
    Ken, I think that's a lawn and garden sprayer you're thinking of... I have one, plus a 3 gallon pressure pot for spray painting.... Now, I just need to find Anchorseal here in Tucson... Jerry (in Tucson)
    Jerry, you'll find Anchorseal or something very similar at Tucson Woodcraft. It has Woodcraft's own brand name on it. I've used it for years.

My burl supplier in Oregon uses Anchorseal in a spray can.

Wally

John this is not related to the posting here, as yes the Anchor sealer is sprayed, but in regard to you keeping the brush in the can, I used to do that also, but didn't like the work of trying to soften the brush every time, so I tried rolling it into a plastic shopping bag, and that works real well, it will keep the brush soft for weeks easily.
    All I do is lay the brush on the bag at one side and start rolling the bag with the brush, after a turn or two I fold the top and bottom end of the bag over and then continue rolling the bag till it is all the way rolled up, the brush just doesn't dry out this way, and I can use the bag a couple of times at least, just give it a try I think you'll like that better than softening that brush every time ;-))
    Have fun and take care

Thanks for the tip, Leo! Really it only takes a few seconds for me to soften up the brush. By the time I pour the Anchorseal in the coffee can, and put the cap back on the jug, a few swishes around the can dissolves the previous residue in the can, and softens the brush. No mess, no cleanup!

Jerry, I buy AnchorSeal from UC Coatings - two 5-gal cans - at a time... free shipping.
    The first time I bought 10 gal, it was $100, free shipping. The last I bought was, IIRC, $110... probably gone up again, by now.
    I put a bail on a 3# coffee can, leaving the top capable of still holding the lid, and cut the handle off a 4" paint brush (just left about 2" handle), and leave the Anchor Seal in the can with the brush). It stays usable all the time.
    The directions say to keep from freezing, (on mine), but it froze a couple of winters, and when I opened the can, I stuck a Paint Stirrer inside, and used a drill to re-constitute the AS. It still works as intended.
    Just info...
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

As others have said it can be sprayed. I use a smaller garden sprayer when I am doing a lot of blanks but mostly just a paint brush.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.