Thread: portable air compressors

Question portable air compressors

What do you use for a portable,jobsite compressor? Is the Porter Cable a good deal? I see you get the compressor and two brad nailers and a mail in coupon for a free stapler.

Thanks Tom

I'm using a small, inexpensive single tank Husky that I bought on sale, but just about any of the pancake or dual tube units are great for portable work. They are getting better on the noise factor these days, too...my little unit is surprisingly quiet as compared to the larger oil-less unit I had experience with previously. That PC deal you cite sounds interesting given the included tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a luggable Bostich twin tank unit for all of my projects. It has a good ammount of wear, but it is still ticking.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I use a DeWalt 4 gallon with oil driven motor and am very very happy. That is a fine compressor.

This is my portable. It is a little heavy to move around, but I never run short of air.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg's compressor

Thanks for providing my morning chuckle Greg

Question question re compressor to clean dust control filter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I'm using a small, inexpensive single tank Husky that I bought on sale, but just about any of the pancake or dual tube units are great for portable work. They are getting better on the noise factor these days, too...my little unit is surprisingly quiet as compared to the larger oil-less unit I had experience with previously. That PC deal you cite sounds interesting given the included tools.
    Jim, this reinds me of something a wanted to ask you. First of all, I do't own a compressor. Oneida says to use a compressor to clean the filter on their filter. Is this necesary or will "reverse" on my Festool shop vac do the job?

I have the PC C3001 and I like it a lot. I picked it up for $125 at Lowes a few weeks ago.

I just picked up a Campbell-Hausfeld twin tank compressor and 16ga fininsh nailer for $165 at Costco. It seems like a good deal to me.

Jim, I looked at a small Husky comp. at Home Depot, and I thought it might work well as a portable. What kind of performance do you get from it. I like to run a brad nailer and a 15 gauge finish nailer(not at the same time, of course) Whaat do you think?

I have two portable compressors one a PC 4.5 gallon and the other a Craftsman 2 gallon (not the new 3 gallon depicted in the photo, but it looks the same). Both have given me excellent service. Here are some pictures:
    Last edited by aurelio alarcon; 12-07-2004 at 2:32 AM.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Quote Originally Posted by D. Sheldon Best
    Jim, I looked at a small Husky comp. at Home Depot, and I thought it might work well as a portable. What kind of performance do you get from it. I like to run a brad nailer and a 15 guage finish nailer(not at the same time, of course) What do you think?
    While I'm not normally a Husky fan, for the $80 or so I paid for the little machine, it works as advertised. I've used it with my brad nailer, 15 guage angle nailer...and my framing gun. The latter isn't the best use and I did have to set a few nails with a hammer, but it still worked acceptably for "occasional" use. If I were a pro and on the job, it would not be appropriate. For brads and finish nails...it works great.

BTW, it looks almost identical to that little one-tank Sears unit in the previous post. I truly was surprised at how quiet it is for an oil-less unit.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-07-2004 at 9:30 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...