Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another gimmick

I happened upon that (again) last night, and was surprised (and maybe a little saddened) to see how many people did not realize it was a joke. What saddens me is that people get all worked up and indignant so quickly these days, they fail to see anything as a whole picture. Instead, they see one little aspect (in this case a very obvious joke) and get all butthurt about it. (No offense intended to any Creekers, especially Harry, whose knowledge and advice here are awesome.)

Sorry, it came from fine woodworking, and I didn't notice the date, so I took it for granted coming from them it was the real thing. Good one on me though and I fell for it, mainly because in this day and age of gadgets gimmicks anything is possible. LOL

P.S. I bet Ron Popal or whatever his name is could sell it.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Harry,
    Nothing to be sorry about. A good April Fools joke is one that is not easily recognized as a joke. FWW did a great job with this one. At this point just smile ...

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Sorry, it came from fine woodworking, and I didn't notice the date, so I took it for granted coming from them it was the real thing. Good one on me though and I fell for it, mainly because in this day and age of gadgets gimmicks anything is possible. LOL

P.S. I bet Ron Popal or whatever his name is could sell it.
    It was a really well done joke. I was getting all worked up into a lather about the super long push sticks, then I went looking for the date to see how old it was. It was only then I realized it was a gag. They got me good. I didn't catch the "Reuben Goldberg" until someone else posted that tidbit here. Bottom line is it's something that some dink would invent and get jammed through the industry via class action lawsuits.

It seems to be a close race between FWW and Lee Valley to see who can come up with the funniest April 1 jokes each year. I happened to like this one, though I was surprised at how any people thought it was serious. Yes, the long push sticks are necessary to cut down on the decapitation rate!

I once had a coworker ask for a "sure fire" cure for a head ache, and my flippant response was "The only certain cure I know of is a .45 to the head, but that has some nasty side effects. I'd try a 10 minute break off your feat and two aspirin first." Another coworker within ear shot was horrified and got particularly bent out of shape, kept telling me I had to apologize and get counseling and so on. I invited her to butt out, may have recommended duck tape for the mouthy thing. I was younger then.

I was most certainly not telling the woman to kill herself or do anything else stupid, I was attempting to make a sardonic joke about the nature of certainty. It seems humor varies among individuals.

April Fools joke or No, cutting-edge-types everywhere will be plunking down their plastic for the latest hi tech safety device. And then they will the first to sue when the contraption breaks their wrist!! Pfffftttt!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

a sense of humor and common sense are irrevocably intertwined

and as has already been mentioned both are in short supply

people would do well to heed the advice my grandmother gave me when i was about 12 ........ she said " engage your brain before you open your mouth" , "think before you speak " and she probably said it a few other ways as well