Thread: How to hollow a lidded box?

How to hollow a lidded box?

I have some wood that will make a couple nice boxes, but I am not sure how to hollow them. How is hollowing the endgrain of a box different than a bowl and how do I get good flat wall and bottom with a nice tight corner? One of the books that I have recommends using a side cutting scraper for boxes, is that the only/best way to do it?

Tool wise I have a 1/2" bowl gouge and 1-1/4" round nose scraper that I use for bowls. (I have other tools but those are the ones that will work for hollowing.) I am not against buying more tools, I just want to make sure that I buy the right ones.

Thanks
    Wayne

I live in Union, Ohio, a few short steps north of Dayton.
    It may not be the "kosher" way to do it, but I use a 1/2" square nose scraper to hollow all the boxes I have made, and never had any bad experiences. I just take my time and don't try to rush the cuts and keep the scraper sharp.
    I'm just thankful it held.

I use a fingernail grind on a 1/2" spindle gouge and a square grind on a chunky 3/4" scraper. You can back hollow a la Raffan if you're brave. I just hollow conventionally after I drill a 3/8" hole to mark my depth. Use the scraper if you want a flat bottom. Use a bowl scraper if you want a round bottom. If you can get your hands on Raffan's box turning DVD it will all make sense.

I have PSI's bowl scraper set. They have a nice long side bevel, to true up the sides of the boxes. You can also use a square scraper, but IMO, a square edge is much harder to sand. I use the bowl gouge to start and a Hunter carbide. You can use any carbide cutter, that's just what I have. All you really need is a scraper. That's all Raffan uses. The box turning DVD is a good buy. He does make me sick though. He can make a box faster than I can type this reply. And I'm not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    He can make a box faster than I can type this reply. And I'm not kidding.
    Scary, ain't it?

I use a 1/2" spindle gouge using Raffan's back hollowing method. I finish most of mine with a square bottom using a heavy duty square scaper.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys I will look into the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post
    I have some wood that will make a couple nice boxes, but I am not sure how to hollow them. How is hollowing the endgrain of a box different than a bowl and how do I get good flat wall and bottom with a nice tight corner? One of the books that I have recommends using a side cutting scraper for boxes, is that the only/best way to do it? Thanks, Wayne
    Wayne, I haven't read the other posts yet, but I'm supposing someone has said a square-nosed scraper will do the sides and bottom with a sharp corner.
    John Hart had an awesome post recently (photo tutorial) about thinning the inside edge of a vase with a Skew. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that same cut will also work on the flat inside wall of a small box.

Cutting the endgrain, I usually drill a hole in the center to just shy of finished depth, then hollow from the center out. Then finish with the scraper.

All that said, I suggest thinning the scraper near it's edge, the part that cuts the corner, and don't let your cutting edge get below center when doing the corner.

I use the 3/16 dia Mike Hunter carbide cutter for hollowing 90% of my lidded boxes. It's an awesome little cutter.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I use a 1/2 inch scraper(either round nose or square depending on the style of bottom) or a spindle gouge.

I've used a spindle gouge and I've used specialty tools. My favorite is a skew chisel-check out Alan Lacer's video.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I have PSI's bowl scraper set. They have a nice long side bevel, to true up the sides of the boxes. You can also use a square scraper, but IMO, a square edge is much harder to sand. I use the bowl gouge to start and a Hunter carbide. You can use any carbide cutter, that's just what I have. All you really need is a scraper. That's all Raffan uses. The box turning DVD is a good buy. He does make me sick though. He can make a box faster than I can type this reply. And I'm not kidding.
    Upside down, cutting on the side of the blank traveling up. Seriously. Learn the back hollowing technique that Raffan advocates. It is quick. Then finish up with scrapers.