Thread: Gift From David Keller

Gift From David Keller

I haven't been around much over the last couple days because the family was complaining that I built a deck, but I didn't build any stairs to get up on it!! Soooooo....to get them to shut up, I've been building stairs.

During this time, I received a box of goodies from David Keller.
    DSC_0022.JPG
    In the box was his wonderful Yellow Box Burl Hollowform, which I gotta say, it is prettier in person. The discussion about the finial being too fat...I'm afraid that that was an illusion of photography. The proportions are wonderful.
    DSC_0010.JPG
    It's not mine anymore though. My wife stole it. In her words, "You know how you walk into a room where all the decor is just perfect...you don't single out any one thing....It just looks perfect....That's what this piece is."
    Then she stole it. She wants to find a matching calligraphy pen and put it in the library in the poetry section with all the antique books. So, I'll get to look at it, but I just can't touch it.

I wanted to put it here
    DSC_0006.JPG
    But it's not mine anymore.

Also in the box was this great pen.
    DSC_0023.JPG
    Honduran Rosewood Burl...looks like a really good CA finish...but I'm not sure. And it writes too! Mamma said I can have the pen.

And...David wanted to give me work to do.
    The blanks are Hickory, Apricot, and a slab of Yellow Box Burl. Now all I have to do is turn them into a different shape without destroying them!!

Thank you David...You made my week!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Wow John! Was it your birthday or something? Congrats on the hollow form! It is quite the showpiece!

I also really like the idea of adding stairs to your deck project! Bet it made the family really happy! Funny how it's the little things some times...

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of the wood that David sent you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

you tend to get less company on your deck if you skip building the stairs

Nice gesture on David's part. Congrats and enjoy!

Congrats on the haul, John!! I really liked that piece when David posted it, and neat that he gifted it to you.

But, now the pressure is on with those blanks!

Nice gifts! Congratulations John.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm glad it arrived safe and sound.

Your wife is my new best friend... That's probably the nicest thing I've ever heard anyone say about something I've turned. I'm honored that the piece may have a home in the Hart library collection!

I hope you have fun with the box filler.

Congrats John. David what a nice gesture.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post

Your wife is my new best friend... That's probably the nicest thing I've ever heard anyone say about something I've turned. I'm honored that the piece may have a home in the Hart library collection!

I think you got the address all wronggggggg

I like that HF too

John I'm jealous of you, even if your wife stole it
    Have fun and take care

Great gift!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post

Yep...You should feel honored David. I think the nicest thing she said about one of my pieces is, "That's nice honey...now get it out of the house...it stinks." (lacquer)

I will definitely have fun with the filler...if I ever get out from under these other projects!! And I think I have some reciprocity to attend to as well.

Thanks again for the great gift!
    ~john

Not meaning to ruin the mood but is it John or someone else on the forum who like the smell of lacquer, say maybe a little to much?

Well a couple of days ago I started using my deft lacquer again, and I realized, wow, it does smell pretty good then I got scared and hope it isnt habit forming...lol
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I was putting a finish on a bookcase (Deft Brush-On). I had my head deep in the shelf...just brushing away...enjoying the view....thinkin' about stuff....crawled up into the shelf....took a little nap.

They found me three days later.

I don't understand why my wife thinks it stinks.
    ~john

Awesome gifting from David! Isn't it a drag when life happens and you have to do other things than turning (and inhaling)? Is it possible to take in enough Deft to forget you're doing something other than turning?.

Be looking forward to seeing what you dream up for those hunks of wood!

Good things happen to good people John. A very nice jesture on John's part. Just trying to figure out how you got the package
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE