Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Grinder?

Your Grinder?

What grinder do you use? Do you like it? What would you buy?

I have a slow speed grinder from WC, and like it alot. I'd like to have a Creusen, but they only have 6" wheels and are sold in the UK - for alot of money.

Woodcraft slow speed grinder. Works well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have a craftsman high speed dual wheel super deluxe standard bench grinder. One gray wheel...one white. I like it. Although... I am a free-hander so my input doesn't really mean much I'm afraid....I'm not exactly a sharpening guru.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

WC 8" slow speed. I like it, but only because I have nothing to compare to!!

WC 8" 2 speed grinder, one wheel 80 git for shaping and 120 git white wheel for touching up.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Grinders

I have an older WC 8" slow speed grinder, you know the ones with a rear dust port. The newer models don't have a dust port and are really messy when the wheels are trued up. If I really wanted the best grinder I would get the Baldor 8" grinder, but these suckers cost a small fortune, over $600.00!

I apparently spent a small fortune as per the attached pic. I dunno, I see sharpening as right up there with ripping (How much for a 3HP cabinet saw), turning (lathe prices anyone?), jointing (anything over 6" starter models are plenty $$$), bandsawing (at least a grand for a nice one), chainsawing (Huskie's ain't cheap) etc. I don't see why folks don'e think twice about spending $1800 or $3500 on a lathe, but would balk at buying an equivalent quality grinder. Same with respect to dust collection and masks. I think Trend and 3M "expensive" models are money well spent.

Buy good tools the first time and enjoy using them everytime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    I apparently spent a small fortune as per the attached pic. I dunno, I see sharpening as right up there with ripping (How much for a 3HP cabinet saw), turning (lathe prices anyone?), jointing (anything over 6" starter models are plenty $$$), bandsawing (at least a grand for a nice one), chainsawing (Huskie's ain't cheap) etc. I don't see why folks don'e think twice about spending $1800 or $3500 on a lathe, but would balk at buying an equivalent quality grinder. Same with respect to dust collection and masks. I think Trend and 3M "expensive" models are money well spent.

Buy good tools the first time and enjoy using them everytime.
    Well said.... But I have a Stihl and a Tormek..... I really like the Tormek. Sharpen the kitchen knives and make the boss happy.

What Sean said. I have a similar Baldor-8", 3/4 hp, but I sprung for the illuminated shields. Tormek too, but only for flat stuff.

The Baldor is silk smooth. And compare the spin-up time to any of the others in the $50-200 range, and you won't ever want to go back. I started years ago with a 6" Delta grinder. I know the Baldor has ball bearings, don't know what the Delta has. Prolly just a bronze bushing. Never could get a wheel true. The Delta has been relegated to powering the Automach.

I really don't see the necessity in a slow-speed grinder on high speed steel. Just takes twice as long to accomplish a task.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 07-20-2010 at 10:11 PM.

I have used a WC 8" slow speed grinder and it has worked well. However I just got a new Delta 8" variable speed grinder and really like it. Lowes had the for $138 but had them on clearance for $35 but the only one they had left was the display, so I talked the down to $10
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I have a 6" Baldor that I have had for 30 years and its a wonderful piece of equipment.
    I also have recently purchased the WC 8" slow speed grinder and despite the wheels wobbling it does a fairly good job. I like the 8" for turning tools but for everything else, the Baldor gets the nod!
    Wayne

So 50/50 split so far. Those that have the WC seem pleased, those with high end always pleased. Hum?

BTW Sean is that a verticle solution on the flat platform?

Yup, I have Mr. Geiger's truing tool and his vertical solution. I highly recommend both.

I've got the WC and it does the job. I'm not sure I could justify the expense for a deluxe grinder at this point only because there are other things I want more. If you've got the money, I can't imagine you'd ever regret buying a top of the line tool.