Thread: Little fingers.

Little fingers.

Excuse the weepy post.

My 2.5 year old daughter - Hunter has started watching New Yankee and Woodworks with me every weekend. It's pretty funny to hear her ask me what "Norm made today?". She prefer David Marks. Little 2-year old stinker - what's she know.

This Saturday she sat on my lap for Woodworks and asked me if she could do projects with me..."when I get bigger". "Of course" I said. "We can do them together daddy?". "You bet."

Then I looked at that tiny hand holding mine it its tiny fingers and realized how horrible it would be to see her injured. Of course there are a lot of ways for a toddler, or anyone to get injured. But I decided right away to hold off on that new table saw purchase. I remember reading a thread here debating the Saw Stop system. Lots of opinions, prejudices as usual. That debate seemed kind of silly. The real debate should only be do you go first, or wait and see. It won't take long for the first "accident" to occur and the technology will sink or soar pretty quickly from there. I hope it works. We should all hope it works whether you choose to use it or not.

Just like riding a motorcycle, you can decide to go ahead in things despite the risks which may be acceptable, but are nevertheless incremental risks to those other, more necessary activities you participate in. So you minimize them as best you can. To not do so is just silly.

So I decided that I'm going to wait awhile, winter is here anyway, and get a Saw Stop saw. If reviews of the saw's overall quality are good, I'm willing to roll the dice on the technology.

Like I said, there are a lot of ways for a toddler, or anyone to get injured. There are a zillion activities, habits, methods for something to happen and a table saw is just one. There's no substitute for proper technique and healthy caution. But those little fingers are too precious to not manage risk down as much as possible. So why not. I'm in.

Ten fingers crossed that the early reviews and results are positive.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Strause; 12-06-2004 at 12:30 PM.

Rob

Rob you have a precious AND precocious daughter. She is wise beyond her years. You are also fortunate and blessed. I'd keep her away from a table saw for a while. Your SawStop strategy makes sense. Safety is really priceless. Enjoy your journey w your eager young daughter!
    Jerry

You are a lucky man... my daughter is about to turn 6 and she used to watch Norm with me... if you asked her what the most important thing to do was she would tell you "Wear safety glasses"...
    She loves to be in the shop with me and know enough not to be near the tool when I am working... the only tool she is allowed near is my scroll saw and then she sits on a bench near me to hand me the blades as I need to replace them...
    She is, however, becoming an expert sander.... I think we have made about 20 different birdhouses that she has sanded and painted.... they are all over the yard... and despite the somewhat eclectic paint schemes the birds still seem to like them.. LOL...
    This past weekend she told me that she is asking Santa to build me a bigger workshop with heat so we can work in the winter too..... can a man ask for more than that... I DON"T THINK SO......
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Thanks for the comments both of you. Looks like you've worked out a safe way to engage your daughter. I see al ot of birdhouses in my future. We're lucky people.

Regards.
    Rob

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Wow Rob!

Don't let the threat of danger stop you from some wonderful learning and bonding experiences with your little princess. LOTA, breakers and disabling devices can keep her safe when your not there. Don't expect to get anything done while you are working with her but good times just the same.
    Saw Stop is no replacement for good common sense and safe working practices
    Start small, and train her well. You may have the makings of the next great Norm, Pam, Todd, Julie, Carole or Mark Singer .

Shop time and "working" was one of our favorite past times when my ladies were here. Punishment for not respecting a tool or not putting it away was not using it for a while.
    Both young women have all ten fingers, some valuable skills and I still have many of their creations
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/