Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It was the right thing to do

It was the right thing to do

At least, that's what I keep telling myself ...

I got a call from a member of our church. He knows I'm into woodworking, so he thinks I might be interested in this thing he needs to get rid of.

It seems that a family member bought him a circular saw as a gift a year or two ago, a "weird, off-brand" he's never heard of. He tells me he just now got around to opening it and it's defective, it "starts up real slow". And asks me if I want it.

After having him describe it, I realize he's got a Festool tracksaw. A TS75, to be exact.

So I explain to him that what he's got is a really nice saw that cost his relative about $600 and that "soft start" is a feature, not a defect.

A free TS75 vs doing right by an elderly member of my church. Yeah, I did the right thing.

I think ...

You did. And so would I.
    But I also would have felt the whisper of temptation...
    "It's Not About You."

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Cliff, you did the right thing, but you already know that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I also would have felt the whisper of temptation...
    Oh, it was way more than a whisper. That little horned guy on my shoulder was yakkin' up a storm.

You now have a good deed headed your way. It may take awhile, but it WILL show up.

You know if you took it, your church would collapse the next time you walked in.

Of course you did the right thing!

Blog Entries
    That guy trusts you now. Who knows what he may offer the next time. Ya done good. And doesn't it feel good?

Honesty and dishonesty always come back around.

Good on ya!

Sometimes it seems like it wouldn't be right if it wasn't painful - DOH!

What you need to do now is work on getting that family member to "adopt" you as an extended family member. Probably wouldn't rate you getting a Festool, but maybe a Dewalt or Makita track saw...

Blog Entries
    Good Man Cliff.

it was the right thing to do.

PHM

You're a good man Cliff, and that IMO is its own reward. I'm sure the lord wouldn't hold it against you if you offered to "take a look" at that saw, being your good with tools, and may be able to help the gentleman work out the kinks with it. Maybe cut a few boards in the interest of making sure its safe. Building a kitchen or two in the process....

Just kidding about that second part. Sounds like a great way to get to know someone better too!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    You now have a good deed headed your way. It may take awhile, but it WILL show up.
    Thats right, a blessing is headed your way.

You done good... tempting but you did the right thing.

JP

Damn, I love stories like this. Every time I think humanity has gone to hell in a handbasket...a bunch of woodworkers (or boatbuilders, or even motorcycle mechanics) prove me wrong. Good on you, Cliff! Your integrity has effects far beyond your church.

On the topic of churches....

I have been a bad church member. I go infrequently, don't go up and drink the funny juice (I didn't grow up Catholic, like my wife), and sin regularly.

Earlier this year, when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, a bunch of people in our community stepped up to help, in more ways than I thought possible. Many of them were from our church, and many of those who weren't are good church-goers to other denominations.

It changed me.

When night after night people leave food, flowers, cards and other expressions of love and support on your doorstep, and you see that they are people you don't even know, but they're members of the congregation at your church... it touches the heart strings.

Churches are about community, or at least should be. And that includes total honesty with our fellows.

Anyway...uh, what happened to the saw? I'll pay $100 for it today.

Mark

Three-to-one says the old guy almost never uses it, and a few years from now after he's passed on you'll find out from his widow she sold it at her cleaning-out-his-stuff garage sale for 5 bucks and 4 toaster cords. At the reading of the will, you get an honorable mention for being a "good neighbor."

Yeah... you did the right thing. But, if there wasn't any personal connection prior to the question... for example, if you found it at a garage sale for an extremely cheap price, would you have acted similarly? I'm not sure what I would do.