Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $200+ for a hammer? Why?

$200+ for a hammer? Why?

I have seen ads for these Stiletto hammers at really high prices. Why are the prices so high? Why would someone buy one? What can these hammers do that my regular hammers can't do?

Can anyone here chime in if you have or know of someone that has one?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7785_200357785

Kev, I have three of them. One with a wooden handle, one with the welded aluminum handle and one like the ad you showed. I really like them. The light weight really reduces the stress on your elbow if you use it all day. But, just for ocassional use I do not feel that they are worth it, except for bragging rights.

I just figured they were for federal government contracts.

I can't see anywhere to plug in the air hose.
    fmr

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    You should see the platinum toilet seats...
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

If I had to hand frame, I'd buy one in an instant. They swing beautifully, have huge heads for their low weight, don't get dinged up with use, the magnetic nail holder is well-designed, they are well worth their price for someone who will really use it. I used someone else's 16oz for a little bit and it put my 24oz steel hammer to shame. I can't really say how it works better, the physics would dictate that the heavier head should drive a nail better, but without a doubt, the stiletto drives a nail faster and more accurately, and with far less fatigue or excess weight, both on the arm and the toolbelt. If I was still framing, I'd have one.

Titanium is not cheap, nor is it easy to machine--and there's significantly more machining on that hammer versus a drop-forged steel hammer.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    The light weight really reduces the stress on your elbow if you use it all day.
    Bingo! I gotta save up elbow injuries for sailing.

There's plenty of times where dragging a airhose around just isn't worth the effort. Like crawling around in trusses and nailing in braces, or rat runs, or even purlins. Too much hassle.

I have 2 .. the mini and the TBII. I love both. I do use the mini more often than the TBII though. My elbow would hurt from swinging my estwing all day ... and I play softball which also strains my elbow. I bought the Stilletto and my pain is gone. I think I will buy the pry bar next to lighten my tool belt even more.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    Nah, we don't buy anything that cheap.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I use one every day, I wish I'd had one years ago, maybe my elbow wouldn't be shot full of cortisone..

When I first started building, nobody had air nailers. In those days, with a 24 ounce wood handled framer, the process was tap bang. One stroke to sink the 16d framing nails. When guns first became popular, most of us with hammer skills (yes it does take skill to swing a hammer) could frame as fast as people with guns. I've never used one of those new-fangled tatanium hammers, but with wood handles I never had elbow problems.

Blog Entries
    yup, the title of the hammer is where the cost comes from - Titanium

why do you think high end golf clubs are so spendy? and the Titanium heads are
    hollow, can you imagine how much a driver would cost if the head was solid? LOL

I've used one for 8 years (with the wooden handle). Before purchasing it, my elbow would hurt quite a bit from construction projects on the farm (nights and weekends). After purchasing the titanium hammer, no more elbow problems.

There is not a whole lot that is machined on them; they are investment cast by Ruger for Stiletto. Still, titanium is very difficult to machine (and very expensive).

I have one, not the one you linked to, just a wood handle.
    It's one of those "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" kinda things.
    But if you're using it regularly it's worth the $. Old fart elbow likes it.
    Joe H