Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Plane Advice From Those In The Know

Todd,

Man, that is an incredible deal for those four planes. They're in pretty good shape, too. Each of my planes cost at least as much as you paid for all four of yours, mostly in similar condition. Those planes will clean up great.

Being all of one month removed from where you are, here's my newb-rampup fettling list. Mostly these are the things that were non-obvious to me, so my apologies if any or most of this is obvious to you. Also a caveat for the more experienced (pretty much everyone but me and Todd): these aren't the "right way", they're just how I managed to get my planes working well starting from zero knowledge....

1. The chipbreaker tip needs to be ground, almost sharpened, so that its front lies flat on the iron under tension. Otherwise you will get chatter, and/or shavings will go up between it and the blade.

2. The chipbreaker needs to be closer to the edge of the iron than was obvious to me. The finer the shaving, the closer it should be. For coarser work you have to back it off to keep from clogging the mouth. 1/16" off the edge will keep your #4 from chattering during final smoothing.

3. The frog's bevel should normally be more or less in line with the bed's throat bevel.

4. The lever cap should snap down, but it shouldn't take undue effort to snap it down.

5. A perfectly square edge works well on jack planes and jointer planes (which you'd use the #5 1/2 for out of that set). You can skew the blade in a jack plane to hog off more material quickly. However on your #4 plane you want a very slight taper at each end of the edge, so you can do final smoothing without cutting sharp lines into your workpiece. This was the final piece of the puzzle for me to generate my first really wispy shavings.

6. The sole doesn't have to be perfectly flat, but the mouth area does. A belt sander makes short work of evening the rest of the sole with a slightly hollowed mouth.

7. Stanley still sells parts, new, for your #78 fillister and you can order them online for reasonable prices (but more than you paid for the plane, alas). You need the fence and the nicker if you don't have them. I don't have the depth stop myself but I imagine it's useful and will be getting one. You want the blade very slightly proud of the right edge of the plane, and the nicker should be at least even with the edge of the blade for cross-grain work. You don't need it for rabbets along the grain.

And with all that we come to the most dreaded thing by far....

You have to sharpen, but the widely recommended solution (Norton waterstones and a good honing jig) would cost 10 times what you paid for the planes.

For me as a low-budget newb, sandpaper adhered to float glass has worked great. The first place I found fine-enough grit wet-dry sandpaper was an auto parts store which had half-sheet packs to 2000 grit. With 2000 or 2500 grit you can achieve a mirror polish. But only if you use a sharpening jig, unless your hands are steadier and much more naturally gifted than mine. My planes just hacked at the wood until I swallowed hard and shelled out for a honing jig. I bought the Veritas MkI, but I wish I'd just gulped and bought the MkII.

Okay that was long but hopefully it's moderately helpful, fresh from the mind of someone also just finding his way....

Blog Entries
    Well Trey, I would say you have gotten it all pretty well working for you.

The lever cap should snap down, but it shouldn't take undue effort to snap it down.
    This could be one area where everyone pretty much does it the same but describes it differently.

My method works for me, but that does not mean it is right. The screw that holds the lever cap seems to make a lot of difference in the tension even with just 1/16 of a turn when it is at the sweet spot.

My bench planes are all set so the adjustments can be made with the lever cap secured. Again, I have not seen anything to tell me that is correct, but it seems to work fine. If the adjustments do not hold, then the lever cap screw gets adjusted tighter. Of course this is done after the tension is released from the lever cap. I do not worry about the lever cap moving when the blade is retracted. That is why the "kidney" slot was developed.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Well Trey, I would say you have gotten it all pretty well working for you.

This could be one area where everyone pretty much does it the same but describes it differently.

My method works for me, but that does not mean it is right. The screw that holds the lever cap seems to make a lot of difference in the tension even with just 1/16 of a turn when it is at the sweet spot.

My bench planes are all set so the adjustments can be made with the lever cap secured. Again, I have not seen anything to tell me that is correct, but it seems to work fine. If the adjustments do not hold, then the lever cap screw gets adjusted tighter. Of course this is done after the tension is released from the lever cap. I do not worry about the lever cap moving when the blade is retracted. That is why the "kidney" slot was developed.
    That's a good way to put it, the lever cap should be as tight as it can be and allow you to still adjust the plane. Definitely a quarter turn of the cap screw is significant. Two of my bench planes are type 9-11 with smaller knobs and their caps have to be a little looser than the newer planes to allow depth adjustment.

Trey, thanks for the details. I've yet to get to the sharpening / cleaning . etc on these, but I think I have some of the tools needed for the job. What I'm lacking is the experience of use of them, but I am looking forward to getting that soon.

I have the Veritas Mark II, a few granite slabs, the Norton waterstones (total combo's of 800 / 1000 / 4000 / 6000 grit) and the Delta 8" bench grinder (w/white oxide wheel).

Also in line for a good sharpening are a new set of Narex chisels (first set owned), along with some older chisles in the arsenal.

I've been busy completing a honey do project for the last month or so (6x15x8 shed) and haven't gotten to the sharpening. Mainly because everything that went into the newly completed shed was stacked up in front of my workbench so I had to complete one to get to the other.

I've been absorbing what I can from this thread, checking some others (as mentioned in this thread) and about to pull the trigger on a book or two to help the process along.

You guys are all giving me good tips here and it's greatly appreciated. Once I get them cutting into some wood, I'll pony up on how well I'm putting all this intel to use.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
    Trey, thanks for the details. I've yet to get to the sharpening / cleaning . etc on these, but I think I have some of the tools needed for the job. What I'm lacking is the experience of use of them, but I am looking forward to getting that soon.

I have the Veritas Mark II, a few granite slabs, the Norton waterstones (total combo's of 800 / 1000 / 4000 / 6000 grit) and the Delta 8" bench grinder (w/white oxide wheel).

Also in line for a good sharpening are a new set of Narex chisels (first set owned), along with some older chisles in the arsenal.

T
    I also bought a set of Narex chisels in the last month. They are very easy to sharpen. Otherwise you are much better equipped than I am, including possession of a workbench and enough yard space for a mid-sized shed...

Todd,
    Where in Denver are you located? I am just south of the Cherry Creek mall and have fixed up a number of planes, chisels, and saws. I have a pretty good working knowledge of these items and may be able to point you in the right direction if you hit a tough spot. "Creeker visits" as they are called are always fun.
    Gary

I'm down in Centennial about 5 miles east of Southlands. Not far at all.

I head down to St Joe's at midtown (Franklin & 17th) every now and again and roll right past CC Mall on the way there. I play hockey down at Magnuss from time to time, or shoot down to Orvis at CCM for some fishing gear. I get around that area relatively frequently.

If I get caught up, I'll defintely reach out. Thanks for the offer. I can always use a push in the right direction.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Palmer View Post
    That's a good way to put it, the lever cap should be as tight as it can be and allow you to still adjust the plane. Definitely a quarter turn of the cap screw is significant. Two of my bench planes are type 9-11 with smaller knobs and their caps have to be a little looser than the newer planes to allow depth adjustment.
    The depth adjuster is where I often cheat. I bought a bunch of the larger adjusters and changed them out on most of my earlier planes.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)