Thread: dewalt radial arm saw purchase

dewalt radial arm saw purchase

I have a 1964 dewalt 12" radial arm saw that finally died on my last week. it was a 120v and the square top green model. Wolfe machinery wants $376 to rebuild the motor so I'm looking for a replacement. not the strongest saw but worked fine for my needs.
    I found a 12" older cast iron round top dewalt on craigslist for $200. Saw looks in mint condition from photo and it's a 220v 5HP model. I know these RAS are pretty sought after and thought it might be a decent deal.
    owner said it was completely rebuilt by a local shop 3 years ago.
    any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    thanks! Mark.

It could be an ok or good deal if the ways are in good shape. The DeWalt cast iron radial arm saws have the grooves for the carriage bearings machined into the arm (Delta and maybe some other saws use steel rods that can be replaced) and if the grooves are worn then it will cost a fortune to have it re-machined. If the carriage is tight in the arm at the extreme outer end but a little loose at the rear (where most of the cutting takes place) then there might be wear in the arm. Or it might be adjusted to take up the wear at the rear, but then be really tight farther out on the arm. You might also be able to feel a groove or step worn in the bearing groove with your finger, but be careful as there might also be sharp edges along the groove.

That's a really big saw and will pull a lot of power. If you don't need all of that power and capacity you might want to wait for something a little smaller and more reasonably priced. 12" 1 1/2 HP Delta turret saws seem to turn up around here on a pretty regular basis. I just finished rebuilding a '70s model I got last fall for $50.

If it's in good shape, $200 is a fair price.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    +1 for that saw, $200 is a great price.

If you don't want it, please let me know!