Thread: Nova Chuck Screw Size?

Nova Chuck Screw Size?

Anybody know the dimensions of the screws that hold the jaws in Teknatool/Nova chucks? Wanting to buy some more, but not from Teknatool.

Mike, from the Teknatool website -
    M6x10 Jaw screws

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mike, from the Teknatool website -
    M6x10 Jaw screws
    TY, John - couldn't find it myself .

It seems to me the head size (diameter) of the Nova chuck screws is smaller than a normal flat head cap screw in that size. My SN2 came with the 75 mm bowl jaws which have one of the screws in each jaw set way down in a deep counterbore. I happened to grab the screws for my Oneway chuck when I went to mount the jaws one time and they would not fit into the counterbore. They use the same thread pitch and diameter but the heads are considerably smaller in diameter than the Oneway screws.

Take care
    Bob

M6x10 screws from the local hardware store work just fine. The heads do stick above the countersink in the jaws. That doesn't matter since the blank will never touch the screws if it's mounted properly on the top of the jaws.

I recently ran into this problem myself. tecknatool is crazy about there screws...3.59 + 8 dollar shipping for 8 screws.

I went to the local fastener store bought some and am going to put the screws in a nut and then use something like vise grips to slowly grind the head down to fit.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I purchased extras locally from Menards and at True Value. They were found in those specialty screw draws they have in the hardware section.

I got some at local ace or true value. I did grind the heads so they would fit in the holes. Just held them with my fingers and didn't let them get hot. I believe they were 30-40 cents ea.

Bought 100 grade 8 screws from ENCO to replace the NOVA ones for about $5. Actually, to make them fit (the profile of the 'underside' of the screws is slightly different than the countersink in the chuck jaws) , I took a countersink bit and just removed some material from the jaw's pre-drilled holes (don't worry, can't even measure how little I took off - just metal dust, really) - didn't think of taking material off the top of the screws. They work like a champ, and now no worries about not having a screw or two extra around.

Mike,

You are just to smart.... yes if it didnt hurt the chuck at all I think that is what I will do... nova wanting 8 bucks a set for replacement screws is crazy... some bette some worse but if it gets used much at all over time they are going to strip again..

thanks for the info
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Hi, found almost a perfect fit. From Fastenal, M6 - 1.0 x 12 . Purchased box of 100 / $11.00, head of screw sits up just a little, but not enough to make a difference.

You can buy the real jaw screws from CSUSA .....8 for $3.99. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...aw_screws?Args=
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    You can buy the real jaw screws from CSUSA .....8 for $3.99. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...aw_screws?Args=
    Guys I live right by CSUSA. I am assuming that the biggest complaint is the cost to ship the screws not the price of the screws themselves, so I will go get a set of the screws (same ones I use anyway) and find out how much they would be to ship in a padded envelope and let you know. Maybe I can save you on shipping.

(It won't be for a couple days I just bought a townhome that is under construction and I need to get a couple things taken care of this week and CSUSA isnt open on the weekend.)
    Last edited by Wayne Hendrix; 05-11-2011 at 1:49 PM. Reason: additional info