Thread: Really dumb Sketchup question

Really dumb Sketchup question

...just can't find it.

I'd like to either turn on a snap-to to full inches (and 1/4", 1/8",... increments)

- or -

Adjust the size of a drawn item manually, from the keyboard after it's been drawn.

Dragging and avoiding 10' 5 5/16" when I wanted 10' 5 1/4" is tiring on a long session.

Thanks.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I'd like to either turn on a snap-to to full inches (and 1/4", 1/8",... increments)

On the Window menu select Model Info. Select Units. On that panel Enable Length Snapping. Use the other controls on the panel to set your increments.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 07-23-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Adjust the size of a drawn item manually, from the keyboard after it's been drawn.

Dragging and avoiding 10' 5 5/16" when I wanted 10' 5 1/4" is tiring on a long session.

Draw an object, say a rectangle. Now look in the lower right of the screen. You should see the drawn dimensions. Type on the keyboard the dimensions you want. They'll appear in that box. Hit Enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

Draw an object, say a rectangle. Now look in the lower right of the screen. You should see the drawn dimensions. Type on the keyboard the dimensions you want. They'll appear in that box. Hit Enter.
    Yes, that works only the first time. Selecting the object doesn't show the dims again.

'Entity info' for a rectangle for instance doesn't show any dims or an edit box, and the dims aren't editable in the lower right corner anymore.

There must be a way to select a 2' 15/16" square and edit it to become a 3' 15/16" square without push/pulling it - via text.

The only way I have been able to do it, is to add/or subtact (pull the edge) and then put in the value to add/subtract the original to make it come out right. (Boy, that is not very clear)

"2' 15/16" square and edit it to become a 3' 15/16" would mean pulling the edge of the 2' 15/16" over, then enter 1' in the text box and press enter so it would add the 1' and make the total 3' 15/16.

Requires doing math, so I usually don't bother...
    Last edited by Rick Prosser; 07-23-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo

Select one edge of your rectangle, then type "M" (for move). If it has been extruded into a 3-dimensional thing, you can draw a box from left to right around the entire end before starting the move command. Click and drag in the direction you want to go and type in the dimensional change. Everything connected to the line or face you move will stretch along with it.

But this isn't any easier or faster than using Push/Pull. You can control the amount of the extrusion by starting with a click and drag in the direction you want to go, then typing in the amount of change. When you get the hang of it it's pretty fast, but you need to initiate the motion along the proper axis. There isn't a way to type in a command telling things to move up or down or right or left.

Sounds like you're trying to apply commands or techniques from some other program to SketchUp. In my experience that doesn't work very well. It's like going to Spain and speaking French. Some of it may get through, but it will be slow and frustrating.

Bob Lang

Might not be most efficient method but I've developed habit of using the measuring tape tool to draw guidelines for moves and scaling if there isn't another object to snap to.

Quote Originally Posted by Britt Lifsey View Post
    Might not be most efficient method but I've developed habit of using the measuring tape tool to draw guidelines for moves and scaling if there isn't another object to snap to.
    Yep, done that too. For the lack of a real-time, on-screen measure... that'll do for now.

Like Bob said, I'm just too used to Corel Draw and others. I was figuring I was not finding it, but it ain't there.

YAn English professor wrote these words - "Woman without her man is nothing." - on the blackboard and asked the class to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."
    The women wrote "Woman: without her, man is nothing."
    Hmm, I'd offer
    "Woman without. Her man is nothing"
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by tim rowledge View Post
    Hmm, I'd offer
    "Woman without. Her man is nothing"
    Oooooh, Nicely done sir. Nicely done.

I'm stealing it.

Just a note: You can change the length of a line (edge) that isn't "trapped" by other lines. In the "Entity Info" box, the length of the edge is shown. If that pane is bright, just enter a new length there. If that pane is dim, you're out of luck, and have to use the move tool, or sometimes it's easier to just draw a new line.

After burning out being frustrated because Sketchup doesn't work like AutoCAD or CorelDRAW!, I just worked at learning the heirarchy Sketchup uses for creating things. I won't say I'm an expert, or anything, but these days, I turn to Sketchup first, then if it isn't sufficient, move the drawing to AutoCAD. And Corel is really a lousy drafting program, sadly. It's soooo good at other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Just a note: You can change the length of a line (edge) that isn't "trapped" by other lines. In the "Entity Info" box, the length of the edge is shown. If that pane is bright, just enter a new length there. If that pane is dim, you're out of luck, and have to use the move tool, or sometimes it's easier to just draw a new line.

After burning out being frustrated because Sketchup doesn't work like AutoCAD or CorelDRAW!, I just worked at learning the heirarchy Sketchup uses for creating things. I won't say I'm an expert, or anything, but these days, I turn to Sketchup first, then if it isn't sufficient, move the drawing to AutoCAD. And Corel is really a lousy drafting program, sadly. It's soooo good at other stuff.
    I'm an American and I want it ALL. I want one program that does everything, and I don't want to learn how to use it. It must be infinitely flexible, do CAD, export every file format effortlessly, paint, poop out photo-realistic renderings, and cost $149.95.

Lemme know....

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    It must ... cost $149.95.
    Dreamer!