Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have a problem with these TV shows?

Blog Entries

Anyone else have a problem with these TV shows?

There are 2 new TV shows that really bother me. The first show is called Sliced on the history channel. On this program the host cuts items in to pieces to find out how they work. This is educational but it is also a celebration of destruction. The host does not cut up old or defective items he cuts up brand new items. Example is the last episode I saw he was testing/using a nail gun and then he cut it up.
    This just seems like a huge waste to me, if you want to find out how it works there are other ways finding out how things work.

The other show is on ABC and I believe the name is "Dropped". In this show contestants have to answer questions to win prizes on a large treadmill, if they do not answer in time the prizes ride of the belt and fall of a building. The prizes range from kitchen tables and to SUVs and they all get dropped off the building and destroyed.

American Society has become so wasteful and these programs are a prime example. Personally I think these shows are just unacceptable.

Interesting take on those shows, Paul. I can see your point. I saw one episode of sliced. On the one hand, I found it to be incredibly stupid. As you said, there are far better ways to find out how things work than to destroy them. However, that's not always the case. He does have some mechanical insight that he shares with the audience. I wish that they'd focus more on his process to determine how things work and less on the tool being used to destroy the item.

I have never been interested in that type of program and haven't even heard of them due to my rabid avoidance of commercials.
    David B

I have never heard of those shows. My problem with those concepts isn't that they are wasteful. It is that they are inane. Who watches this?

It reminds me of how I feel when I see the cut-away pictures of planes on the LN site. That was a perfectly good plane!

Those, the talks shows, and shows like survivor are what I refer to as "trash television". Maybe I need to find a new descriptive phrase though since most of TV is the "vast wasteland" that was first referd to over 45 years ago.

Obviously I'm out of touch with the majority of the general public though since the advestisers wouldn't support these shows unless there was a large audience.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    I watched Sliced a couple of times and found it idiotic (and wasteful). He's just asking for some fool at home to try the same thing and really hurt himself or worse. Remember the show called Jackass where kids tried to repeat the stunts?

I saw Dropped once and just assumed that the items they dropped were empty shells of the product provided by the manufacturer for advertising placement. Could be wrong, though. Still a stupid premise.

I googled "dropped" and couldn't find ti. Now I want to watch it. Can someone give me a link?

When I was a kid, we got our first TV. Houston had either 3 or 4 channels at the time. Now I pay a shameful amount for 100's of channels, only 3 or 4 which or decent to watch. My wife and I mainly like college sports (football, basketball, baseball). We do not approve of the commercials that come with these shows. Right now we are in our dry time of the year.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I googled "dropped" and couldn't find ti. Now I want to watch it. Can someone give me a link?
    I couldn't find it either. maybe we have the name wrong or it has completely disappeared. Did find anotehr inane game show, though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7_cgU7JSJg

Hey, found it. It's called Downfall:
    http://abc.go.com/shows/downfall

Blog Entries
    Downfall is the show I am thinking of dropped is the title that came to mind when I started the thread.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down T.V. shows

what T.V. shows?? my tv has become an electricty waister. ed

fun show

I don't watch a lot of these shows, but one that I have seen and enjoyed is Top Gear. It's British, and they look at cars, but do so in a really entertaining way.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/tv-show/series-15

It's kind of like "Dirty Jobs" mixed with "Mythbusters" and a bit of "Jackass" thrown in. Incredibly funny. I happened to catch an episode where they raced RVs around a track just to see if they could. At high speeds and stresses, of course, these shoe-boxes just fell apart.

Carlos

the vast overwhelming majority of stuff on TV gives the impression that the producers and creators believe that everyone out there in TV-land is a mongoloid mentally challenged moron with all the life experience and depth of intellectual penetration of sea cucumber.

But they seem to be able to sell ad space so maybe they are right.

I like Top Gear.

I wanted to hit Jeremy when when he totally mistreated a brand-new Bentley; it should be against the law.

But is always fun to watch Mercedes Benz blow the doors off the BMWs.

You might want to keep an eye out for the trip through the Rolls Royce factories program. At the end you will understand why they cost 500,000.
    Best Regards, Ken