Thread: Eurekazone track question

Eurekazone track question

I need to break down some 4x8 sheet goods and was looking at the Eurekazone SGS100. I couldn't find a demo vid on Youtube and was wondering how the plywood is supported during the cut, and in the case of a 96" rip, how does the guy making the cut prevent the cut off piece from falling and splintering the last 3 inches of the cut. Seems to me the 4x8 sheet needs more support than saw horses, particularly when ripping 96". I know there's an easy answer, I just can't imagine it
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

They typicaly place the sheetgoods on a piece of 2" styrofoam insulation so that is supported on both sides.

I use a cheap straight edge I got at the local HD. I just take 4 8' 2x4s and place 2 under each of the pieces and cut between the middle 2 ...if I am making sense. A pair of 2 2x4s ends up supporting the 2 resultant cut pieces.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

+1 for styrofoam... as long as you just barely cut into the styrofoam it will last a long time before needing to be replaced.

Dont forget to buy some kneepads if you have a lot of breaking down to do.

(BTW There are a lot of Eurekazone videos on YouTube, maybe try searching without the specific model numbers??).

Andy

I use my EZ system all the time for breaking down ply. I would recommend the 114" system to allow a parking zone for your saw. How it works is there are clamps that slide along the rail on the bottom. Very little clamp load will hold the rail in place. Here is my setup:

I've used sheets of styrofoam at home, but I often break down sheets at the lumber yard so I can fit them in my SUV. I use this extendable table, also from Eurekazone: eurekazone.com/content/smart-table-top

You can buy the hardware to build one for yourself for $42 plus the cost of banquet legs ($50 from EZ). I love this table and use it all the time, for all sorts of things. You can throw it in your trunk and have a (nearly) full sized work surface on the job.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-23-2010 at 9:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    They typicaly place the sheetgoods on a piece of 2" styrofoam insulation so that is supported on both sides.

I use a cheap straight edge I got at the local HD. I just take 4 8' 2x4s and place 2 under each of the pieces and cut between the middle 2 ...if I am making sense. A pair of 2 2x4s ends up supporting the 2 resultant cut pieces.
    Ken, do you clamp the straight edge to the plywood and use it as a guide, or do you use the straight edge to draw a line then freehand the cut?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I clamp the straight edge to the plywood and cut it.

I just used that method on an 8' shop cabinet I'm in the process of painting.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This is what I use. It works very well and is easy to store.