Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best router these days?

best router these days?

I am looking at articles online to identify the best variable speed software start router... at least 2 HP... any suggestions as to the best model? I know some of the ww magazines put their content online, but then protect it with passwords--but I bet in the last year at least one mag has done a review and provides and easy answer... anyone remember the latest recommendations?

2yrs old, but ... from a brand standpoint ... I can't find much fault with their picks, in each category:

http://www.consumersearch.com/router-reviews

A year old, but ... same comment applies (I like the way they think !):

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...orking/4230661

And ... when all else fails ... talk to Pat Warner

http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html
    Last edited by Neil Brooks; 07-23-2010 at 8:47 PM.

Are you....

going to mount it on a table or just use by hand?

DW625 my all time favorite

OF1010 is second

PC 100 chrome body

These are my favorites and the ones I use the most. You can't just have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    I am looking at articles online to identify the best variable speed software start router... at least 2 HP... any suggestions as to the best model? I know some of the ww magazines put their content online, but then protect it with passwords--but I bet in the last year at least one mag has done a review and provides and easy answer... anyone remember the latest recommendations?

I have the Bosch, DeWalt, and Porter Cable. I would rate them in that order. The Bosch is a really great router in your hands. The DeWalt is just as good but the wooden handles on the Bosch give it the edge over the DeWalt. I also like the DeWalt in my router table with a Jessem lift. The Porter Cable is my least favorite. I don't like the "ON/OFF" switch and the handles don't feel secure in my hands probably because I have to constantly tighten them.

As far as power, they are all about the same.

When I built my round bar http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=714052#post714052
    The Chicago rail is hard maple, I started to rout it with my PC 7518 it was working but slow go. When I put in a 2-3/4" cove crown bit it keep tripping out, even taking 1/64th cut. I liked the fixed base because I could dial small increment cuts. After a few trips out, I got out my Bosch 1691EVS, wow what a difference, if I'd started with if I'd been drinking by then. I still us the PC in the router lift, only because the Bosch won't fit. I wish Bosch would make a fixed base 3+ hp with the same outside diameter. The PC would go up for sale.

The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP under the talbe for 8 years.. Milwaukee plunge combo 2 1/4 HP hand held. I sold my Bosch.. PC and DW 621 to get the MW combo kit. Best move I ever made in the router department.

Good luck with what you chose...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

You have to first indicate if its to fall into one of the following categories.

1. Router Table only
    2. Hand and Jig use only
    3. Both router table and hand/jig use.

First let me say there is no one router fits all. I have seven. Each one excels in different areas. It sounds like you are looking for a good allround general purpose router. If thats the case I would stick with a router that has multiple bases. IE plunge and fixed. This will narrow it down quite a bit.

My favorite router is my Festool 1400. Its powerful yet very smooth. Its also expensive. It can be kind of awkwqard for hand use becase of the handle. I love the removable cords and dust collection.

My most versitle router is my Portercable 8902. I have both a plunge and fixed base. It vibrates a little more than the Festool. I now have a dticated plunge base mounted on my FMT jig and in less than 10 seconds I can take the motor out of the base a slap it into another for use free hand or dovetail jig. Its get even better dust collection then the Festool. My only complaint is it does not have a removable cord which is handy with the FMT jig.

Dewalt sells a 2-1/4 set that comes with three bases. It hase the same dust collection system as the PorterCable 890 system yet has a removable cord. The only reason I did not purchase this one was I dont like yellow.

The large 3HP routers are nice for router tables but too much to use hand held. My PorterCable 7518 is a beast. It scares me to hold it and turn it on. Its permanatly mounted in my router table.

Also the Tritan MOF001C router is a nice one. It works good in a router table and hand held use.

My oldest working router is the Boshe 1617. The original was built like a tank. The newer ones not so well.

If it were me I would look at the Dewalt DW618B3 kit or the Portercable 893/5 PK kits.

I have Porter Cable, Dewalt, Freud and have just recently aquired Milwaukee routers. They are all good in one way or another but if dust collection is not an issue or it will be strickly for table use the Milwaukee is the best router available right now. I have the 1 3/4hp and the 3 1/2hp and they are both better overall than the other fixed base routers that I own.

If dust collection is an issue then the Dewalt 621 is about the best without stepping into the Fesstool neighborhood.

To tell which router has the best bearings,I turn them on,then switch them off. Listen to how smooth,or rattly each router sounds as it comes to a stop. PS's I've had rattle a bit. The Bosch 1617 I now have comes to a smooth stop. It has better bearings. I also like to use the variable speed feature to not run the Bosch at quite full speed. It works just fine,and doesn't make as much noise when no at top speed.

I haven't used the Milwaukees,but they must be good,as my work partner bought an expensive gunstock carving machine that has one in it. I plan to use my Bosch in one I'm building.

great comments so far... thanks for the input. I have a PC 691... with the D handle. no VS though... no soft start. mostly, I want to build a router table to mount a new router with VS so I can use larger bits and get better dust collection... otherwise, I have done pretty well with the hand routing so far... so it would be primarily for the table... I would start with manual adjustments and one day in the far future I would splurge for the router lift.

I have an opportunity to buy a Hitachi KM12VC 2-1/4 HP Variable Speed Fixed/Plunge Base Router Kit for $140... this hasn't been on anyone's favorite list, but seems like it gets some pretty good reviews. There has been a lot of debate on the magazine recommendations, but I still like to check them out before I jump... probably the personal experience expressed in this thread is more valuable than that though...

still, I hate to be a lazy bum and not do my own research... but I do appreciate all the input... good stuff.

There are lots of favorites for a variety of reasons, but you'll be hard pressed to come up with a clear "best".

In the "2hp" class, I like the Milwaukees for build quality, the Body Grip feature, the excellent plunger, and they accept standard bushings. I like the Hitachi because it's lighter and quieter than others, and also accepts standard bushings. I think the hardwood handles on the Bosch 1617 are cool, but I don't like the plunger as well, and it won't accept standard bushings without an adapter. I like the Freud FT1700 for table use because it has a full compliment of excellent above table features. The Freud and MW's also have the same color scheme as my original cheapie Cman router, so they avoid flagging the CFO like the Hitachi and Bosch did!

I you're primary objective is router table use, get one of the big boys...it'll never flinch with the big bits. The Freud FT3000 and big Triton are loaded with above table features.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 07-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    I want to build a router table to mount a new router with VS so I can use larger bits and get better dust collection...
    Porter Cable 890. I've always had one in my table, and it'll stay there.
    The shape of the router makes it very easy to build custom lifts for it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Fwiw

I've got the Milwaukee 5625-20 mounted under my table.

NewWoodworker did a pretty comprehensive review of it.

The thing is a beast. I've found ZERO downside with it.

I have the hitachi combo kit that you mentioned and have used it for the past 4 years without a single problem. The fixed base is mounted in my router table and I use the plunge for all hand work. It has plenty of power for my needs though I don't do anything too fancy with it. I have a monster of a multi profile bit that I use in my router table and as long as I dial the speed way down it doesn't have a problem handling the job.