Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Poll-Type Questions - Please Help

Lightbulb Six Poll-Type Questions - Please Help

Hi all - I'm putting a project together & could use your help.

If you could post your replies, you'd be going a long way to furthering woodworking on TV. Can't go into details yet but I certainly will when/if things come together.

If you could answer the following questions in ranking order (first being highest, last being lowest)

1 - In your opinion what are the top five internet WW forums (in order of popularity)?
    2 - In your opinion what are the top three TV WW shows (in order of popularity)?
    3 - What are your top five visited areas in WW internet forums?
    (Are they the forum, the shop tours, tips & ideas, the affiliate sponsors like Amazon & Rockler)?
    4 - How much would YOU estimate WW has increased in popularity over the last:
    - three years
    (I mean do you think it's increased with new WWers coming on board 50%, doubled, tripled?
    5 - What is your Norm/Neander ratio?
    6 - Is your shop in the:
    - baement
    - garage
    - attic
    - standalone building (oh, you're SO lucky!)
    - somewhere else
    Do you have to pack things up every time you finish a session or is it a dedicated space?

Thank you for your help.
    Howard

BTW - Norm is on PBS in the US, right? Who's the fellow that hosts the show specializing in colonial-times techniques? Also, has anyone seen Scott Philips' show? How would you describe it.
    Howard Rosenberg

Howard, I'll take a stab.

1. Sawmill Creek, er....don't know of any others. Okay, WoodCentral is out there, too. I have heard of others, but there were not spoken well enough of to precipitate my visit.

2. New Yankee Workshop, and those router guys (PBS doesn't come in well here, so I don't see much of either).

3. Power Tool Forums, Chat, Articles/Reviews, Shop Tours, affiliates

4. Got me on board in the last three years, but I don't think there has been a huge resurgence, so maybe 10% or so.

5. Norm 99%, Neander 1%

6. Combo of two: standalone garage, but it's small and dedicated.

Hope this helps!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I'll try

1. no opinion - I look at SawMill Creek, Wood Central, Woodworking.com, WoodNet, and sometimes the woodturning NG. Don't know which is best.

2. no opinion - I look at NYW, Woodworks, Router Workshop.

3. all of the above

4. unknown - I've been doing it about 6 months

5. ??????????????? 60-40, I guess it depends on what I'm trying to do.

6. Standalone - 468 sq ft. - dedicated

hope my info helps.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Blog Entries

My answers!

1. Sawmill Creek, Woodcentral, Wood Online, there are others, but why bother!

2. New Yankee Woorkshop, Hometime, This Old House. The new "Ask this old house" is rising fast!

3.Power tool forum, Neanderthal Haven, Chat, Rockelrs, Woodworkers Supply

4.Probably 30-50% increase in popularity.

5.75%/25% Norm/neander

6. Standalone shop, but it is actually connected to the house.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Re: Six Poll-Type Questions - Please Help

1 - In your opinion what are the top five internet WW forums (in order of popularity)?

SawMillCreek and WoodCentral
    Homesteadfinishing

2 - In your opinion what are the top three TV WW shows (in order of popularity)?

Don't watch any.

Tip, hints and tricks, wherever they might reside.

Huge, %50 or more.

80/20

6 - Is your shop in the:

- standalone building

dedicated space
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

wood-on-line,,saw mill creek,,wood central

new Yankee ,,,,diy woodworking

(Are they the forum, the shop tours, tips & ideas, the affiliate sponsors like Amazon & Rockler)?

shop tours,,, general groups,,,tools,,,,

6 - Is your shop in the:

stand alone garage
    Mike

1 - In your opinion what are the top five internet WW forums : My favorite is not necessarily the most popular.... I'm a Sawmill Creek Wader... Then I surf: Ellis Island, The Oak Factory, Wood Chips & Knots
    2 - In your opinion what are the top three TV WW shows : NYW, This old House, David Marks
    Power Tool Forum.... Support Forum
    4 - How much would YOU estimate WW has increased in popularity over the last: I have no idea
    5 - What is your Norm/Neander ratio? 100% Norm... I'm a power tool guy. Is that the answer you want?
    6 - Is your shop in the:
    -- standalone building (oh, you're SO lucky!)
    -Do you have to pack things up every time you finish a session or is it a dedicated space? No
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

1. Wood Central, Knots and Sawmill Creek (are the only ones I regularly visit).

2. The Woodwright's Shop (I wish it was shown locally) DIY WoodWorks.

3. Hand tool forums, general interest (Knots) and design.

4. No idea. But the tool makers must think it's grown; there are many more good tools made today than there were even twenty years ago.

5. 1:99 Norm:Neander (I use only one power tool--an electric drill).

6. Other: Yes I have to pack up my tools after a session; my bench stays put though.

Roy Underhill hosts "The Woodwright's Shop." He works exclusively with old style hand tools. I have seen Scott Phillips; I don't know how to describe it--except to call it unfocused.

Re: Six Poll-Type Questions - Please Help

sawmillcreek, woodcentral

NYW, when I can find it.

powertool forum, shop tours

- three years
    (I mean do you think it's increased with new WWers coming on board 50%, doubled, tripled?

no idea

90/10

6 - Is your shop in the:
    - baement
    - garage
    - attic
    - somewhere else
    Do you have to pack things up every time you finish a session or is it a dedicated space?

basement - 75% dedicated to the shop
    Jim

Survey

Howard,

1. Sawmill Creek, Wood Central and the Oak. I was an Oaker until the "Pond" thing happened. Sawmill Creek is easy to use and Wood Central has an excellent Turner's Forum.

2. New Yankee Workshop!! Are there any others? I like the neanderthal show, especially the manual lathe stuff that he does. On the other hand, I don't have the talent or the patience to perform his magic. I wish I did.

3. Power tools, Turning, shop tips, and sometimes general--that's it.

4. I'm not sure that there has been a BIG increase--maybe 10-15%. Many of us have been making sawdust and wasting wood for YEARS. Now we can come out of the "woodwork" and lie to each other on the internet.

5. 99:1 in favor of Norm. I wish that I had the talent and patience to reverse that number. Type
    A personalities can be a pain the progress of creativity.

6. Basement(walkout). IT'S DEDICATED!!! That, and my home office, are the only two areas of my house where the LOML does not do a white-glove inspection on a daily or otherwise unannounced basis. On the other hand, I do try to "clean up" every night. It's nice to walk into a clean shop in the morning. It also is safer for me because my first cut of the day is usually stupid. I make a lot of blunders all day long but most of the worst tend to happen at first "cut".

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

1 - In your opinion what are the top five internet WW forums (in order of popularity)? Who's popularity, mine or John Q Public? For me it's woodcentral, smc, knots, woodweb

2 - In your opinion what are the top three TV WW shows (in order of popularity)? Woodworks, NYW, American Woodshop

3 - What are your top five visited areas in WW internet forums? power tool forums, shop tours, tips and tricks. I rarely have time to do all this and mostly stick with the forums.

4 - How much would YOU estimate WW has increased in popularity over the last three years less than 20% (but this is really hard to gauge)

5 - What is your Norm/Neander ratio? 95%+ normite, but I am learning how to sharpen my chisels!

6 - Is your shop in the: garage (dedicated) but still have to cleanup

Also, has anyone seen Scott Philips' show? How would you describe it.
    I could do it much better (at least I think so!)

<font color=red> Sawmill Creek, Wood Central, Knots, The Oak, and Wood Magazine's forum.</font>

<font color=red>NYW, DIY Woodworking, Scott Phillips' Show (American Woodshop?).</font>

3 - What are your top five visited areas in WW internet forums? (Are they the forum, the shop tours, tips & ideas, the affiliate sponsors like Amazon & Rockler)?

<font color=red>Just the forum. It was also the search function of the pond. Hopefully I'll get my CD soon.</font>

4 - How much would YOU estimate WW has increased in popularity over the last three years (I mean do you think it's increased with new WWers coming on board 50%, doubled, tripled?

<font color=red>There's no way for me to tell.</font>

<font color=red>90/10 and growing.</font>

6 - Is your shop in the:
    - baement
    - garage
    - attic
    - somewhere else

<font color=red>standalone garage (that never gets used as a garage so I guess it's a shop).</font>

<font color=red>See above.</font>
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Geoffrey Chaucer

WWA, The Oak, SMC,WoodCentral,

NYW, DIY Woodworking, Show, American Woodshop (Scott Phillips' ).

3 - What are your top five visited areas in WW internet forums? (Are they the forum, the shop tours, tips & ideas, the affiliate sponsors like Amazon & Rockler)?

Forums and URL's referred to in forum posts.

4 - How much would YOU estimate WW has increased in popularity over the last three years (I mean do you think it's increased with new WWers coming on board 50%, doubled, tripled?

increased by 30%

don't understand

6 - Is your shop in the:
    - baement
    - garage
    - attic
    - somewhere else

standalone garage built solely for use as shop

Dedicated with way too many things.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

SawMillCreek and WoodCentral
    Homesteadfinishing

NYW, DIY(David Marks), Scott Phillips American Workshop

(I've met Scott and talked with him several times. He is a really nice guy, a great turner, but as Alan said before me, "unfocused".
    On my personal list, I'd add Roy Underhill. He's definitely "goofey", but I've learned a lot of handwork how-to from him.

Sawmill, Wood Central

Based on the couple shows attended each year for the last 10 years, I'd say huge. Maybe 50% increase

55/45

6 - Is your shop in the:

basement

dedicated space, but LOML has strict cleanliness requirements, so I clean up at the end of each day. Besides, it's so small, I have to keep it clean and organized in order to work.

Response - Six Poll-Type Questions

I visit Saw Mill Creek, Woodcentral, The Oak (political forum only), Fine Woodworking - Knots

DIY shows - WoodWorks w/David Marks, DIY Workshops, Ask This Old House, New Yankee Workshop

Power Tools, tips & ideas, retail sites - routerbits.com, Jesada, Woodcraft, Wilke, Grizzly

4 - How much would YOU estimate WW has increased in popularity over the last three years
    New woodworkers - about 25%

95/5

6 - Is your shop in the:
    Garage
    Dedicated. Have to move WWing tools to work on the cars.

Ted