Thread: spray adhesive- Permanent?

spray adhesive- Permanent?

I need to glue some sandpaper to a jig to help eliminate some sliding and wondered if i could just use some spray adhesive and sandpaper i have on hand instead of picking up the self-adhesive sandpaper? I have the stuff from the BORG that is used for laminate...any thoughts? Obviously, I want to be able to remove the sandpaper when it is not needed...

I use 3m super77 multipurpose adhesive for sand paper on glass. Works well and clean up easy with a scraper blade and a little mineral spirit

Jay, do not use the Borg stuff. It is designed to be a permanent adhesive. As Billy suggested, #77 is a good choice and readily available. There is also a repositiionable spray adhesive form 3M, but the product number escapes me at the moment.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

If by "permanent" you mean you will never be removing the sandpaper, a spray adhesive will work just fine. I have mounted 120 grit sandpaper on the face of my custom made miter sled. Its been there for more than ten years.

Oh, BTW, the miter sled was first coated in an oil/varnish mixture. I let it fully dry before I sprayed on the adhesive. If you have a finish on the surface you will be applying the adhesive to, test it out before you commit.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 07-25-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Howie.........

Lacquer Thinner completely releases and removes Scotch 77. I use it to glue paper patterns on wood.

gary

If you let the 3M 77 dry for a couple minutes sorta like contact cement before sticking the sandpaper on, it should come off easier. As I remember, if you want a permanent bond spray and stick. If you want a temporary bond, spray, wait, stick. Am I nuts? On second thought, don't answer that Franklin used to make a sanding disk adhesive that worked like PSA adhesive. I haven't seen it in years but it worked well. I assume the spray adhesives replaced it.